• Hi Guest !

Welcome to the new 500Eboard forum, post-migration to XenForo. Please feel free to do the following:

1) Explore, click, tweak your settings, enjoy

2) Check out the new "skins" link at the bottom left of the main page, to change the look and feel (color scheme/graphics) of the forum to your preference

3) Let me know of any errors you find. I am hard at work in the coming days and weeks to get things tweaked correctly, and I know there are plenty of small tweaks. Feel free to post in the "XenForo Migration" thread anything you find, or have questions about.

500Eboard Forum Software Conversion to XenForo

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Rotating banners have been completed, thankfully. Whew.

Over the next day or two, I'm going to be tweaking the "redirect" system, so that URLs in threads on this forum that reference threads on the old system, are automatically redirected to the proper thread here. Same with the images. This will allow me to shut down the old forum for good, after I finish the photo albums and Wiki import.

So, there may be a little wonkiness until I get the redirect system perfected. Lots of coding happening. The forum here should be unaffected, and hopefully things are successful. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I'll update folks again when I have news to report.

Cheers,
Gerry

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
:update:

We're 50% complete on the redirects. I've completed a successful redirect to all of the image calls to the old forum, to automatically redirect them here to this forum (where all of these images are already stored).

Still working on the URL redirect -- which will redirect all URLs to threads and posts on the old forum to the correct/corresponding thread/post on this forum. I'm almost there, but tweaking some code and settings to ensure this is correct.

This too is already partially done -- if you type in (or click) the URL to the old forum's main page: https://www.500eboard.com/forums it will correctly and automatically redirect you to this "new" forum's main page. But when you specify a particular thread or URL, I don't yet have the redirect configuration final.

FYI for you code monkeys, this is the code I'm tweaking this morning.

Code:
<?php

// Enter the full path to your XenForo directory here:
$dir = '/var/www/html/500eboard.co/public_html/forums';

require($dir . '/src/XF.php');

XF::start($dir);
XF::runApp('XF301VB\Pub\App');
If you are interested to see the latest status on bugs and issues with the forum, you can find it here: https://www.500eboard.co/forums/index.php?threads/bug-tracker-xenforo-based-forum.12969/

Cheers,
Gerry

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
:update:

We're 50% complete on the redirects. I've completed a successful redirect to all of the image calls to the old forum, to automatically redirect them here to this forum (where all of these images are already stored).

Still working on the URL redirect -- which will redirect all URLs to threads and posts on the old forum to the correct/corresponding thread/post on this forum. I'm almost there, but tweaking some code and settings to ensure this is correct.

This too is already partially done -- if you type in (or click) the URL to the old forum's main page: https://www.500eboard.com/forums it will correctly and automatically redirect you to this "new" forum's main page. But when you specify a particular thread or URL, I don't yet have the redirect configuration final.

FYI for you code monkeys, this is the code I'm tweaking this morning.

Code:
<?php

// Enter the full path to your XenForo directory here:
$dir = '/var/www/html/500eboard.co/public_html/forums';

require($dir . '/src/XF.php');

XF::start($dir);
XF::runApp('XF301VB\Pub\App');
If you are interested to see the latest status on bugs and issues with the forum, you can find it here: https://www.500eboard.co/forums/index.php?threads/bug-tracker-xenforo-based-forum.12969/

Cheers,
Gerry
I am VERY VERY VERY PROUD and EXCEEDINGLY EXCITED to announce that the redirects are working for URLs embedded in posts, or that show up via a search on The Google, and they will automatically redirect to the appropriate thread that has been migrated to THIS new forum.

This is the culmination of some major work and is going to make life VERY easy for folks when they encounter URLs posted in threads that reference the old forum. If you find a thread for the old forum on The Google, it will link here. OVER TIME, the Google will also re-index all links from the old forum and re-assign them here. Having these redirects will expedite this process.

I anticipate that all photo albums will be migrated over in the coming days (about 90% of them are now done) and I'm hoping the Wiki can be migrated also within the coming days/weeks. That will allow us to shut down the "old" forum permanently and I can get some bucks back on the 1.5 years remaining on the old contract there.

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY !!!!

JOY JOY JOY !!!!

Cheers,
Gerry

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Today, I am going to re-engage on installing the "Enhanced Search" capability by installing the elasticsearch software on the server, and re-enabling the add-on. There should not be any disruption to the forum during this process.

Elasticsearch just released on April 10th version 7.0 of the search engine, which is supposed to be pretty good. And the current version of XenForo that we have installed, is fully compatible with this version of elasticsearch.

I'll provide updates on how this is going as I have progress to report. This will significantly improve the search capabilities for the site, and will restore the capability to search for VINs and other search terms with as few as three characters/numbers.

Cheers,
Gerry

P.S. Tomorrow (Saturday) morning, I will be getting up early to hopefully complete the migration of the remaining photo albums from the old site to this site.

gsxr

.036 Hoonigan™, E500E Boffin
Staff member
Gerry, can the search results also be tweaked to show the most relevant first, rather than the newest date? (Or, have this selectable?)

:apl:

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
P.S. Tomorrow (Saturday) morning, I will be getting up early to hopefully complete the migration of the remaining photo albums from the old site to this site.
All photo albums have been migrated from the old forum to the new forum.

51 photo albums that were migrated from the old forum, were deleted on this forum. This is because they were empty. I double-checked this to confirm that these photo albums were empty on the old forum, before I deleted them here.

The only remaining item to migrate from the old forum to this forum is the Wiki content, which I will do after the Wiki software is in such a state where it is mature enough to be installed. Right now (though it is getting steady updates every 2-3 weeks), it is still "alpha" software, and I do not yet feel comfortable installing it on this forum.

Cheers,
Gerry

Last edited:

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Today, I am going to re-engage on installing the "Enhanced Search" capability by installing the elasticsearch software on the server, and re-enabling the add-on. There should not be any disruption to the forum during this process.

Elasticsearch just released on April 10th version 7.0 of the search engine, which is supposed to be pretty good. And the current version of XenForo that we have installed, is fully compatible with this version of elasticsearch.

I'll provide updates on how this is going as I have progress to report. This will significantly improve the search capabilities for the site, and will restore the capability to search for VINs and other search terms with as few as three characters/numbers.

Cheers,
Gerry

The Elasticsearch is now up and running on the server, and the XenForo Enhanced Search add-on has been installed and made active. I rebuilt the search index a couple of times after installing and configuring it.

From what I can see, everything is installed correctly and running well, on the server. The Ubuntu "top" command confirms that the elasticsearch process is running in the Java 8 virtual machine.

There may be some troubleshooting and config needed in the coming hours and days, but at least we have the Enhanced Search up and running.

Cheers,
Gerry

Ubuntu "htop" view of elasticsearch running
Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.28.51 AM.jpg

Ubuntu "top" view of elasticsearch running
Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.28.14 AM.jpg

Last edited: