• Hi Guest !

Welcome to the new 500Eboard forum, post-migration to XenForo. Please feel free to do the following:

1) Explore, click, tweak your settings, enjoy

2) Check out the new "skins" link at the bottom left of the main page, to change the look and feel (color scheme/graphics) of the forum to your preference

3) Let me know of any errors you find. I am hard at work in the coming days and weeks to get things tweaked correctly, and I know there are plenty of small tweaks. Feel free to post in the "XenForo Migration" thread anything you find, or have questions about.

Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

LWB250

"But - but - he'll see the big board!!!"
I think there was probably a chance that car wasn't going to sell for very much. So the seller probably wasn't going to sell it for that even though it was a no reserve auction and probably told BaT that.
So you read some of the last posts about, "So if I bid $10 and that's high bid at closing it's mine for $10?"

:teufel:

Dan

gsxr

.036 Hoonigan™, E500E Boffin
Staff member
I think there was probably a chance that car wasn't going to sell for very much. So the seller probably wasn't going to sell it for that even though it was a no reserve auction and probably told BaT that.
I think you're on to something here. Also, the seller may have asked to cancel the auction, which is against BaT policy... at which point he may have been cranky.

:watchdrama:

a777fan

Oof. Didn’t know the m120s successor was so junky. Im sure theres a great klink story to be had there!

:klink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhodg5ck

"Nit-Picky and, Bitter Mechanic"
Oof. Didn’t know the m120s successor was so junky. Im sure theres a great klink story to be had there!

The 275 w/ turbos sure is Fun...the M137 is just....Blah. It also has a nasty propensity for a leaking oil cooler which it just so happens...requires one to remove a cylinder head. We usually choose the passanger side.

Couple that with Less power then an M120, lack of personality as a whole/early production. No good reason that I can see...!

jono

Harv

The 275 w/ turbos sure is Fun...the M137 is just....Blah. It also has a nasty propensity for a leaking oil cooler which it just so happens...requires one to remove a cylinder head. We usually choose the passanger side.
Doesn't the oil leak directly on the TCU? I'm sure that is fun.

gsxr

Staff member
Another BaT auction fails to consummate. Winner is a brand-new user who drove the bidding up substantially. Shill, or just a flake? There's another large gap to 3rd place, similar to the BMW scenario described back in post #143.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-mercedes-benz-s600/

[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot]
Unfortunately the high bidder, @ScottyMushrooms has backed out of the sale due to personal reasons. The site isn’t interested in listing the vehicle again. Anyone interested in taking this gem home?

[/FONT]​

$15,362 - ScottyShroom - winning bidder who backed out... hmm.... (link)
$15,111 - katbeh - 2nd highest bid (42% above next highest bid! - link)
$10,600 - ST Little - 3rd highest
$10,315 - Tommy Kitsmiller - 4th
$10,065 - Ctibulschii - 5th
$9,500 - itineris - 6th

LWB250

"But - but - he'll see the big board!!!"
I wonder how long BAT will allow that post to stay, since they’re soliciting buyers after the auction?

Dan

Klink

postwhore posterchild
Staff member
Another BaT auction fails to consummate. Winner is a brand-new user who drove the bidding up substantially. Shill, or just a flake? There's another large gap to 3rd place, similar to the BMW scenario described back in post #143.

Unfortunately the high bidder, @ScottyMushrooms has backed out of the sale due to personal reasons. The site isn’t interested in listing the vehicle again. Anyone interested in taking this gem home?

$9,500 - itineris - 6th

Wow. Drove the price up 66% (from $9,257) and then does not consummate.

Robert
I wonder how long BAT will allow that post to stay, since they’re soliciting buyers after the auction?

Dan
Same seller just this week "sold" a '97 SL320 for insane money on BAT. Watch that one flake like dandruff, too...

Klink

postwhore posterchild
Staff member

$9,500 - itineris - 6th
One of those bidders in the 10k range is legit. He's a friend, and we were discussing/watching this together this as it went on.
:matrix:

gsxr

Staff member
One of those bidders in the 10k range is legit. He's a friend, and we were discussing/watching this together this as it went on.
The cluster of bids around $10k all appear to be legit buyers. The 2 which pulled way out in front make you wonder what was going on. And did the winner just get a case of buyer's remorse, or was it something else? Either way, it casts a shadow on BaT as a platform for selling you vehicle. You get ONE shot, seven days total, and pray the winner ponies up. And that's assuming the reserve is met, if applicable.

Of course, you have the same hassles with eBay, and eBay also will put you in contact with the 2nd highest bidder if the winner flakes.

:strawberry:

gsxr

Staff member
Did BAT delete all the comments on that S600? I don't see anything about the buyer running.
Yup, deleted. Glad I did a copy/paste. See the apparently-verboten comment in post #158 above.

:mushroom1:

msq

gsxr

Staff member
The dealer bought the Supra as a marketing gimmick. The $0.5M pricetag is the "we don't want to sell it" price. Lots of publicity, probably some foot traffic from people gawking at the Supra, and they are probably figuring out how to write off the $120k as a marketing expense.

But yes, I'd take the Singer. Or make a down payment on a Chiron... or Zonda...

:jono:

gsxr

Staff member
As noted a few posts back in this thread... this is the same car with the suspicious bidding activity. See post #158 above.

Klink, let your friend know they have another shot at it.

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
New comment from the seller explains what happened:

WAgroup (The Seller) :
@Kayemtee - The “buyer” bid on the car through his father’s account. He asked his father for a loan after the fact and was denied. When contacted the father said he wasn’t willing to help his son and he wasn’t worried about being banned from BaT. His son was having “personal problems”.

Bottom line: the former winner “ScottyShrooms” is an idiot. I hope he never shows up on this forum. Our doorknob will be hitting his ass on the way out the ban-door, big-time.

TerryA

Just wondering what happened to Ace10? His last post on his own thread was 2 months ago.

I miss his commentary.

gsxr

Staff member
New comment from the seller explains what happened...
Yeah, that's what the seller claims anyway. No explanation as to why the second-highest bidder also walked. It's obvious why bidder #3 didn't get a shot, as discussed previously.

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Well, the seller didn’t get booted off the site and was able to re-list.

Would be a good question as to why bidder 2 wasn’t offered the car. Though maybe he was, and declined it.

It does seem like BaT is developing a problem with deadbeat bidders similar to eBay, and we all know how that ended up. The deadbeats got all the power, and the sellers got penalized.

What’s always blown me away is how willing people are to bid or make a legal commitment to these things, then back out (for whatever reason).

No sense of integrity, all hat and no cattle. I guess even a growing number of BaT bidders don’t have the proverbial GVZ “two nickels to rub together.”

Jlaa

What’s always blown me away is how willing people are to bid or make a legal commitment to these things, then back out (for whatever reason).

No sense of integrity, all hat and no cattle. I guess even a growing number of BaT bidders don’t have the proverbial GVZ “two nickels to rub together.”
Our entire [American] society is all hat and no cattle these days. Look at the lies that come from: CEOs, politicians, media personalities, instagram-people, television personalities, etc etc ... The epidemic of fake it until you make it.

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Lol. Don’t get me started on social media “personalities” and “influencers”.

What’s most sad and scary is how the youngsters (of my kids’ generation) follow these online Pied Pipers.

The Kardashians are the worst. “Famous for being famous.” WTF?!?

My biggest personal issue with the Kardashians is how they’ve effectively stereotyped and ruined the G-wagen.

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Just wondering what happened to Ace10? His last post on his own thread was 2 months ago.

I miss his commentary.
Aye, I was just wondering about ol’ Ace just the other day.

Always look forward to his stuff. And posts from The Derf as well. Derf’s probably frozen out up there where he lives.

maw1124

E500E Enthusiast
Our entire [American] society is all hat and no cattle these days. Look at the lies that come from: CEOs, politicians, media personalities, instagram-people, television personalities, etc etc ... The epidemic of fake it until you make it.
I tell people all the time, “fake it ‘til you make it” never works, because you’re too busy faking it to make it. At some point you actually have to execute and perform. The goal is to win, not look like you’re winning. Getting people to simply do what they say they’re going to do is a full time job these days. I’m working hard to get someone else to honor THEIR word, as if it’s not hard enough honoring my own. What part of the game is that?!?!

maw

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
So true. Every word.

And it’s epidemic ... a herd mentality as so much has these days. As in, think, say and do what’s fashionable, cool and what others think is cool, rather than think, say and do what is actually RIGHT and PROPER.

Of course, I extrapolate that to my cars. As in, I always prioritize mechanical operation (the cattle) over cosmetic looks (the hat). I’m personally much more concerned with my cars operating as they were designed to, rather than looking great and shiny to impress others.

a777fan

Go get ‘em ger, maw and jlaa!

[emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]

Harv

She makes some good points. People need to realize that BaT cars are a very very small piece of the market in general. It just happens gather the most attention since the platform is very easy to understand and the listings all feature high quality photos and don't have a guy sticking his thumb in half of the photos to try to block the license plate. Add in the fact that Leno and Seinfeld openly fawn over buying cars on BaT on a regular basis, and people get all up in arms.

In my eyes, BaT is the perfect middle ground between the wild west of Craigslist and eBay where anything goes and the high end stuff like Sotheby's or Gooding where a bidders pass is $500 and you have a 11% buyers fee.

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
I totally agree.

It’s entirely possible for an even half-way savvy buyer to get equivalent of not better cars as you see on BaT for far less money.

Just like you can often get the same car as you’d see at The flashy Barrett-Jackson auctions, at a smaller auction in an off location (say, a Mecum auction in Houston or a Silver auction in Portland, OR) for a much lower price at the non B-J auctions. And that’s just the auction scene. You can often do even better with a private sale, with benefit of contact with the PO, paperwork, etc.

BaT is the online version of Barrett-Jackson.

So for me, BaT will always be a non-starter. As will eBay etc for cars. Always better to find the right car and go with a private sale where possible.

This only applies for buying, not selling.

Cheers,
Gerry

Maui

Zivil Ingenieur
Thanks, Dan. I especially enjoyed this quote:

"Therein lies my biggest beef with the recent obsession with auction results: It devalues a car to nothing but a monetary value, which in turn misses the entire point of a car. A car will always be a utilitarian object in my mind, if not for transportation, then to fulfill the basic human need for happiness. We love cars because of what they can do, and what we can do with them."

ace10

Peanut Gallerist, Flipper Detective

ace10

Peanut Gallerist, Flipper Detective

$9,500 - itineris - 6th

I followed that auction. It was a $9-10K car. Anything above that was either shillery or crack-pipe indulgence.

$0.02

msq

Did you contact the seller to find out the story? I dont see any mention of it in the comments.

87 300TD om606 compound turbo
94 e420
85 300tdt
(note: for some reason when I searched for the user who posted this, while he has a user name on this forum, you can see below in the screenshot, and it autofills in the search box when you search by user, the results come up with nothing when you do the actual search. He was the next highest bidder so he knows the story)

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1719

Attachments

jhodg5ck

"Nit-Picky and, Bitter Mechanic"
(note: for some reason when I searched for the user who posted this, while he has a user name on this forum, you can see below in the screenshot, and it autofills in the search box when you search by user, the results come up with nothing when you do the actual search. He was the next highest bidder so he knows the story)

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1719
I'm working with next highest bidder, helped arrange PPI.

To many inconsistencies in the story and on the car.

We thought it wise to pass.

Jono

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk