• Hi Guest !

Welcome to the new 500Eboard forum, post-migration to XenForo. Please feel free to do the following:

1) Explore, click, tweak your settings, enjoy

2) Check out the new "skins" link at the bottom left of the main page, to change the look and feel (color scheme/graphics) of the forum to your preference

3) Let me know of any errors you find. I am hard at work in the coming days and weeks to get things tweaked correctly, and I know there are plenty of small tweaks. Feel free to post in the "XenForo Migration" thread anything you find, or have questions about.

Driver's seat on 1993 500E

msiegelhtx

E500E Newbie
Just bought a 93 500E, with 130K. Car is in great shape, but the driver's seat needs some support. Nostrum if its the springs or the padding. Any advice on how to re-condition original seats​?

gsxr

.036 Hoonigan™, E500E Boffin
Staff member
Just bought a 93 500E, with 130K. Car is in great shape, but the driver's seat needs some support. Nostrum if its the springs or the padding. Any advice on how to re-condition original seats​?
I'm not sure if the seat springs are still available (also not sure of the part number - EPC shows springs are same as standard seats, not sure if that is correct).

However, you can get a new "horsehair" pad, which includes new heating elements. This may help, but won't fix worn springs. You can install some foam boosters in the springs for added support. It's a big job, taking the seat apart...

More pics here:
http://www.w124performance.com/images/W124_seats/

:klink:

Attachments

DAS500

E500E Newbie
My seats are pretty worn - both padding and leather so I'm considering what to do.

Any thoughts on new pads and leather vs a new set of Recaros for instance. Not stock, but I'm a big guy and find the old seats dont really support my back that well.

Thanks

samiam44

In the few seats I've done- W124/123/126...

A new Horsehair pad did a bunch to the quality. Many times you can inspect below the seat and see if there are horse-hair crumbs which would be a tail-tail sign replacement is needed.

Glad to see that manufacture date of 12/12 Dave. Most makes would do small run stuff on such old cars which were made in limited numbers. Go MB!

M

nocfn

E500E Guru
When I got my first MB, the C126 seats were in rough shape. I ordered new leathers and had my installer beef up the spring connections (no pool noodles) and since I was 100lbs heavier I had new hoarshairs and a layer of thick batting layers to boot. Very comfortable, even better since I lost the weight[emoji106]

Folks, quick question--I'm going to have my spare drivers seat cushion re-built with new horse hair pad and foam boosters. I also have a spare spring base which has the two squarish looking foam blocks installed. I'll let the upholstery guy pick the best base to use. I ordered 2 of the round supplemental foam pieces ( 126 914 22 15) but I see there are actually 4 coil springs in the base; one set close to the front edge, the other slightly back. How many round boosters do I use ? and if only 2 which set of coils get them ?
Thanks,

Peter Weissman

samiam44

Yes yes- I need to know also.

Let me know how it works, for some reason I assumed the spring base was different. So I can find any W124 for a donor spring box if mine is damaged?? I'm close to ordering new leather.

LWB250

"But - but - he'll see the big board!!!"
Folks, quick question--I'm going to have my spare drivers seat cushion re-built with new horse hair pad and foam boosters. I also have a spare spring base which has the two squarish looking foam blocks installed. I'll let the upholstery guy pick the best base to use. I ordered 2 of the round supplemental foam pieces ( 126 914 22 15) but I see there are actually 4 coil springs in the base; one set close to the front edge, the other slightly back. How many round boosters do I use ? and if only 2 which set of coils get them ?
Thanks,

Peter Weissman
If you're talking about the black cylindrical foam pieces, they go in the front corner springs. Same setup on W126 seats as well.

Dan

captruff

If you're talking about the black cylindrical foam pieces, they go in the front corner springs. Same setup on W126 seats as well.

Dan
Good to know...I have them for my W124 Sportline seats, but need the time to install.

Jeff