• Hi Guest !

Welcome to the new 500Eboard forum, post-migration to XenForo. Please feel free to do the following:

1) Explore, click, tweak your settings, enjoy

2) Check out the new "skins" link at the bottom left of the main page, to change the look and feel (color scheme/graphics) of the forum to your preference

3) Let me know of any errors you find. I am hard at work in the coming days and weeks to get things tweaked correctly, and I know there are plenty of small tweaks. Feel free to post in the "XenForo Migration" thread anything you find, or have questions about.

Easy & Cheap G-Wagen Cosmetic Upgrade

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
I recently threw a couple of new orange front turn signal lenses onto my latest parts order from MB Naperville. My G-wagen is an older (1995) model, so it uses the "orange" front turn signal lenses rather than the "clear" ones that MBUSA-era G-wagens have used.

A lot of folks "upgrade" the look of their older G-wagens with the newer clear turn signal lenses, but I think it's more appropriate to keep the G with the lenses that it originally came with.

The orange lenses are MB part number 000 826 23 57, list price $26.00, discounted ~$20. The lenses that I received from MB were made in Slovakia.

Here are a few photos of the older lens next to the newer one. You can see how, given their exposure on the front fenders of the truck, that they get wind, sun and sand-blasted. They get quite dull in color.

A view of the original lens, mounted on the truck.
IMG_0189.JPG

A couple views of a removed (original) lens on left, and a new lens on right.
IMG_0195.JPG IMG_0196.JPG

If you've ever wanted to know what a G-wagen turn signal assembly looks like inside, here it is. The assembly is available as a whole unit together with the lens, for not a whole lot more money than just the lens itself.
IMG_0193.JPG IMG_0194.JPG

New lens (to be installed) on the left; original lens (to be removed) on the right.
IMG_0197.JPG

Two views of the new lens installed (on the right) and original lens removed (on the left).
IMG_0199.JPG IMG_0200.JPG

Close-up of new lens mounted.
IMG_0198.JPG

Cheers,
Gerry

Maui

Zivil Ingenieur
Well, a 6 wheel drive G63 just sold at Barrett Jackson for $1.1 million. It had the clear blinkers, so you may want to rethink about that decision. I doubt it would have brought half that if it had the amber blinkers.

:gwag:

Attachments

Last edited:

LWB250

"But - but - he'll see the big board!!!"
If you want to see what the sun and age does to blinker lenses, look at these - 53 years worth of sun and driving on the right compared to an NOS lens on the left. Can you tell which side was "up"?

Dan

Attachments

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Yep, that happens. That’s a pretty extreme case! Last I knew (from owning my 1969 300SEL 6.3 which also uses those lenses) they are still available from MB and not too hellaciously expensive.

Always preferred the bullet lenses (as used on the 1968 and 1969 6.3s) as opposed to the larger round amber turn signals that MB used on the 1970-1972 6.3s and other 108s/109s.

Cheers,
Gerry

LWB250

"But - but - he'll see the big board!!!"
Yep, that happens. That’s a pretty extreme case! Last I knew (from owning my 1969 300SEL 6.3 which also uses those lenses) they are still available from MB and not too hellaciously expensive.

Always preferred the bullet lenses (as used on the 1968 and 1969 6.3s) as opposed to the larger round amber turn signals that MB used on the 1970-1972 6.3s and other 108s/109s.

Cheers,
Gerry
Yes, new lenses are still available, like many parts for pre-1970 cars. and they're not terribly expensive. I believe they're around $80-$90/each. I recently scored a pair of NOS ones off eBay for $90. Amazing what Mercedes still has in inventory for the older models.

Dan

gsxr

.036 Hoonigan™, E500E Boffin
Staff member
Well, a 6 wheel drive G63 just sold at Barrett Jackson for $1.1 million.
Dang. I *knew* that I should have picked up a couple of those to flip, when they were only ±$0.6M. :doh:

...Amazing what Mercedes still has in inventory for the older models.
...and equally amazing what inventory is NLA, like 036 headlights & lenses.

:oldman:

Harv

Did you see these cool pieces that ICON makes for the G? I'm sure they are eye watering expensive.

[video=youtube;2a4uAiMLcmQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a4uAiMLcmQ[/video]

paulunm

E500E Newbie
Gerry- curios if the new lenses are ZKW? $20 seems very cheap compared to some sellers for ZKW units.

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Yes, I confirmed the new lenses (as well as the old ones) are indeed ZKW as the manufacturer. As noted, the new lenses are factory MB lenses.

Purchased them through MB Naperville (mboemparts.com) with free shipping from this site's code "500EPROMO".

600Eric

a.k.a. "CoalRollerEric"
Funny this thread just popped up again. I just swapped out my clear lenses about 1/2 hour ago. It was pretty much the last step in the "De-Kardashian" process after also removing the running boards and installing the factory mud guards this last week. I think it has completely transformed the look and I'm very happy with the result.

20190203_141658.jpg20190203_141718.jpg20190203_141739.jpg

:gwag:

TerryA

I recently threw a couple of new orange front turn signal lenses onto my latest parts order from MB Naperville. My G-wagen is an older (1995) model, so it uses the "orange" front turn signal lenses rather than the "clear" ones that MBUSA-era G-wagens have used.

A lot of folks "upgrade" the look of their older G-wagens with the newer clear turn signal lenses, but I think it's more appropriate to keep the G with the lenses that it originally came with.

The orange lenses are MB part number 000 826 23 57, list price $26.00, discounted ~$20. The lenses that I received from MB were made in Slovakia.

Here are a few photos of the older lens next to the newer one. You can see how, given their exposure on the front fenders of the truck, that they get wind, sun and sand-blasted. They get quite dull in color.

A view of the original lens, mounted on the truck.
View attachment 84900

A couple views of a removed (original) lens on left, and a new lens on right.
View attachment 84903 View attachment 84904

If you've ever wanted to know what a G-wagen turn signal assembly looks like inside, here it is. The assembly is available as a whole unit together with the lens, for not a whole lot more money than just the lens itself.
View attachment 84901 View attachment 84902

New lens (to be installed) on the left; original lens (to be removed) on the right.
View attachment 84905

Two views of the new lens installed (on the right) and original lens removed (on the left).
View attachment 84907 View attachment 84908

Close-up of new lens mounted.
View attachment 84906

Cheers,
Gerry
Gerry,

I just saw on the 405 Freeway a G-Wagen with these turn signals covered with wire baskets? They were clear and definitely protected.

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Yep, probably one of the Kardashians that you saw. That's an aftermarket "bling" option. Not my gig.

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Those items may have been available as pay-extra “bling” accessories from dealers, but they did not come as stock installs on these models.

Sort of like the illuminated grill stars that you can get today on MBs. Sure you can buy them at/through dealers, but they don’t come stock on all models sold.

(I hate those things, BTW).

Ntrepid

Quick survey: How many times has one needed to use or seen a blinker used in the brush? I know why there is a brush guard but never could understand why a blinker needed one.

Robert

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Quick survey: How many times has one needed to use or seen a blinker used in the brush? I know why there is a brush guard but never could understand why a blinker needed one.

Robert
Its to protect the blinker fluid, DUH
I think we all know that it's pure Kardashian-bling.

BTW Robert, my phone seems to be working again, after seemingly being on the fritz for a spell.

ace10

Peanut Gallerist, Flipper Detective
The ONLY purpose of the wire covers which go over turn signals and taillights are to grab and hang on to small branches for as long as possible and inflict as many deep scratches as possible.

Regarding brush guards... not Bull Bars... their single purpose is to maximize the damage to the vehicle in the event of a minor fender bender. They're known as damage multipliers because a simple tap on them will result in damage to the hood, the bumper, bother fenders, the lights and the grill. Rather than simply having to replace the bumper.

Last edited: