• Hi Guest !

Welcome to the new 500Eboard forum, post-migration to XenForo. Please feel free to do the following:

1) Explore, click, tweak your settings, enjoy

2) Check out the new "skins" link at the bottom left of the main page, to change the look and feel (color scheme/graphics) of the forum to your preference

3) Let me know of any errors you find. I am hard at work in the coming days and weeks to get things tweaked correctly, and I know there are plenty of small tweaks. Feel free to post in the "XenForo Migration" thread anything you find, or have questions about.

Engine oil recommendations

gsxr

.036 Hoonigan™, E500E Boffin
Staff member
What base stock is the amazon synthetic? I plan to use it but dont know how often to change. It is made here in indiana or similar by some reputable outfit.
It's almost certainly a Group III oil. I'd be shocked if it was Group IV/V.

You can almost always determine Group III vs IV/V based on price. I don't know of any oils with only IV/V base stocks (no blends with III mixed in) that are under ~$10/quart. The Amazon oil, like most Mobil-1 oils, are ~$5/qt in the 4-5 quart jugs. I'd plan on changing by the usual 5-7k with normal service.

The opposite is less certain; there may be some fancy boutique oils that are over $10/qt which are either Group III or have a blend of III/IV/V. I can't think of any offhand, but they may be out there.

Last edited:

atg

It's almost certainly a Group III oil. I'd be shocked if it was Group IV/V.
Thanks. I think this base stock thing is a red herring. They are all mixtures now. It seems to be application specific, and they have grades and certification specs now that didnt even exist before. Eg the diesel oils are now optimized to not clog the dpf rather than for soot suspension, so the latest greatest synthetic diesel oil may not be the best for an older diesel at 10k oci where you want more ash or whatever.

87 300TD om606 compound turbo
94 e420
85 300tdt

gsxr

Staff member
Most of the oils pushed today are aimed at fuel economy (lower viscosity) and emissions (reduced additives), neither of which are good for longevity and protection. Y'all have to do your own research and determine what best fits your needs based on both specific engine and usage.

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
The opposite is less certain; there may be some fancy boutique oils that are over $10/qt which are either Group III or have a blend of III/IV/V. I can't think of any offhand, but they may be out there.
Brad Penn oil runs $75-90 for a 12-quart case, FYI. I used to be able to get it for $60-70 a case, but it's gone up over $80 in price now. My 560SEC uses about 7.5 quarts with an oil and filter change.

LWB250

"But - but - he'll see the big board!!!"
Brad Penn oil runs $75-90 for a 12-quart case, FYI. I used to be able to get it for $60-70 a case, but it's gone up over $80 in price now. My 560SEC uses about 7.5 quarts with an oil and filter change.
Gerry,

If you keep a close eye out and have a regular search set up for it, I've gotten cases of Brad Penn "green" oil on the Island of Large WImmen for under $70/case from Amazon Warehouse. Apparently, if a case is broken open, which seems to occur family regularly, they discount it and sell it as an "open box" or whatever they call it. It doesn't ship in the "original packaging", but all 12 bottles show up in their original and pristine state with seals intact. I've gotten two cases that way in the last year. When I saw the second one I snagged it just on principal, even though I didn't need it at the time...must have been channeling gsxr...

:lolol:

Dan

Odessit86

Howdy.. I read some previous posts and I found this quote
"too frequent of changes can be just as bad as too late"
Can somebody explain to me please why too frequent can be bad ???

gsxr

Staff member
Howdy.. I read some previous posts and I found this quote
"too frequent of changes can be just as bad as too late"
Can somebody explain to me please why too frequent can be bad ???
Klink was the one who mentioned this. I can't remember if he ever elaborated as to the reasons. I believe he was referring to people who change at very short mileage intervals, say 500 to 1000 miles, perhaps based on time (it's been 12 months! Oh noes!).

Klink? Where art thou?

:klink: :klink3:

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Until recent years, I changed dino oils in my cars (not/never my E500) at intervals of 2,000 miles. More recently I go to 3,000 with my dino-oils.

Never had any ill effect doing this. Changing oil at 500 or 1,000 miles is a complete waste of time and labor -- with one exception. If I had a car that sat for a couple or three years at a time with that kind of mileage being put on it, I'd probably change the oil after that mileage every 2-3 years. But this is more of a "time" and "not being driven" thing, rather than a "mileage on the oil" thing.

The most important thing, is to ALWAYS change the filter when doing the oil.

Cheers,
Gerry

gsxr

Staff member
The most important thing, is to ALWAYS change the filter when doing the oil.
If anything, the filter should probably be changed more than the oil, if a car is driven very little (assuming pleated-paper cartridge filter designs). The paper elements get brittle and can come apart.

:duck:

kiev

I had a very slight tap-tap-tap sound once my engine was warm. I noticed it first on Castrol Edge 10w-40. When oil change was due, I put Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 - same noise. I then changed to red line 5w-50 - same noise. I now have Liqui Molly Leichtlauf High Tech 5w-40 and that tap-tap-tap is gone...

I'm very sceptical of "this oil quieted down significantly" statements. An oil is an oil, as long as it meets certain specs. But here I have this observation. How is this possible, really?

I did UOA on Castrol Edge and Pennzoil Euro and both came back perfect. There's no way Liqui Molly knows of some magic ingredient - I think. What could be possible explanations for very light tap-tap-tap sound gone? It's been a thousand or so miles and 30-40 trips since it's gone, so I know it's permanent...

samiam44

Filters tend to be more effective as debris builds up till the point that restriction begins.

There is a range on viscosities. One 5w30 might be thicker than a competors 5w40. Different additives could have dislodged some varnish.

Paper filters, change every 12 months. Seen filters break apart and distribution engines.

gsxr

Staff member
I had a very slight tap-tap-tap sound once my engine was warm. I noticed it first on Castrol Edge 10w-40. When oil change was due, I put Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 - same noise. I then changed to red line 5w-50 - same noise. I now have Liqui Molly Leichtlauf High Tech 5w-40 and that tap-tap-tap is gone...

I'm very sceptical of "this oil quieted down significantly" statements. An oil is an oil, as long as it meets certain specs. But here I have this observation. How is this possible, really
Red Line and other synthetics have cleaning properties, and sometimes it may take thousands of miles for the cleaning to take effect. (This assumes the ticking is caused by something which could be cured by cleaning, and not a mechanical failure.) It's possible one oil is actually making the noise go away, while another oil does not cure the noise. Unfortunately the only way to find out for sure is to switch back to one of the previous oils at the next change interval, and see if the noise returns.

BTW - I assume the noise was not the tap-tap from a popped plastic oil tube? This can come & go intermittently regardless of oil used.

:tumble: