• Hi Guest !

Welcome to the new 500Eboard forum, post-migration to XenForo. Please feel free to do the following:

1) Explore, click, tweak your settings, enjoy

2) Check out the new "skins" link at the bottom left of the main page, to change the look and feel (color scheme/graphics) of the forum to your preference

3) Let me know of any errors you find. I am hard at work in the coming days and weeks to get things tweaked correctly, and I know there are plenty of small tweaks. Feel free to post in the "XenForo Migration" thread anything you find, or have questions about.

Frustrated with Surging help

kre8tive202

E500E Newbie
Hello everyone,

I am sorry to have to bring this up again, but I am so lost as where to proceed that I am about ready to surrender and bring it someone with a lot more talent than me to figure out what is going on. So before I throw in the towel I was wondering if anyone had any last minute ideas before I give up. My 1992 500E is constantly surging on deceleration after it warms up in the morning. I purchased a remanufactured ETA from BBA with a lifetime warranty. I have checked all of my vacuum lines and cannot find one that is disconnected or broken. My fuel pumps are new and just figured out I had a bad DM. The car doesn't surge in the morning for like the first 3-5 minutes, but damn it after it gets warm I feel like I am riding a bucking bull when I decelerate to a stop. Does anyone have any last minute things I should check before I open up my check book.

I am located in San Francisco and will be bringing it to Robert in Marina. I forgot Robert's shops name (He was recommended to me before by you guys on the forums). Does anyone know the name of his shop?

Thanks,
Mario

kre8tive202

E500E Newbie
Hello everyone,

I am sorry to have to bring this up again, but I am so lost as where to proceed that I am about ready to surrender and bring it someone with a lot more talent than me to figure out what is going on. So before I throw in the towel I was wondering if anyone had any last minute ideas before I give up. My 1992 500E is constantly surging on deceleration after it warms up in the morning. I purchased a remanufactured ETA from BBA with a lifetime warranty. I have checked all of my vacuum lines and cannot find one that is disconnected or broken. My fuel pumps are new and just figured out I had a bad DM. The car doesn't surge in the morning for like the first 3-5 minutes, but damn it after it gets warm I feel like I am riding a bucking bull when I decelerate to a stop. Does anyone have any last minute things I should check before I open up my check book.

I am located in San Francisco and will be bringing it to Robert in Marina. I forgot Robert's shops name (He was recommended to me before by you guys on the forums). Does anyone know the name of his shop?

Thanks,
Mario
Sorry meant "Marin" for where Robert's shop is

J-Sauce

N2O Junkie
How did you search for a vacuum leak? I'd put money on a leak based on your symptoms. There are quite a few seals, lines and hoses you wouldn't be able to get a good look at for a visual inspection.

kre8tive202

E500E Newbie
I just did a visual. Are there any spots that would be a major culprit to surging.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jhodg5ck

"Nit-Picky and, Bitter Mechanic"
Temp sensor comes to mind as a distinct possibility. Check ohm's diagonally on the sensor.

gsxr

.036 Hoonigan™, E500E Boffin
Staff member
Further diagnostics would be far easier with a digital scanner / SDS which can show live data. A fuel pressure gauge that can be viewed while driving can also help, but low fuel pressure causes surging on acceleration, not deceleration.

Assuming you are checking codes on all 5 powertrain modules (LH, EZL/DI, E-GAS, BM, ASR)... what codes, if any, are recurring after you clear them?

I thought I recalled something about some people having issues with BBA remans but I could be wrong on that.

:duck:

kre8tive202

E500E Newbie
I initially bought their throttle body repair service, after returning my throttle body 2 times, they deemed it beyond repair so I bought a reman from them. I don't have my DM module in right now so my check engine light is off. I should get the one I bought from EBAY by Monday. When I did have my old DM, the only know I way to get a code is by pressing that button with the red light and counting the flashes. I was always getting code 6, code 11 and code 17. I haven't pulled the codes from all the modules yet.

Further diagnostics would be far easier with a digital scanner / SDS which can show live data. A fuel pressure gauge that can be viewed while driving can also help, but low fuel pressure causes surging on acceleration, not deceleration.

Assuming you are checking codes on all 5 powertrain modules (LH, EZL/DI, E-GAS, BM, ASR)... what codes, if any, are recurring after you clear them?

I thought I recalled something about some people having issues with BBA remans but I could be wrong on that.

:duck:

Jlaa

Hi Mario,

I cannot help with diagnosis --- but if you want other suggestions you might try Jimmy Prountzos (proprietor) @ Junipero Serra Porsche & MBZ in Daly City. They regularly service pagoda tops, Gullwings, and will be servicing my 500E once I receive it in a few days. I was admiring a 20K mile w124 500e in their shop the other day.

gsxr

.036 Hoonigan™, E500E Boffin
Staff member
Definitely check for codes on all modules with a hand-held blink code reader. The built-in LED in front of the CAN box only shows codes from the DM, which only stores emissions-related codes. You must check all the other modules separately...

:cel:

kre8tive202

E500E Newbie
Ok that sounds good. That is much closer than San Rafael.

Hi Mario,

I cannot help with diagnosis --- but if you want other suggestions you might try Jimmy Prountzos (proprietor) @ Junipero Serra Porsche & MBZ in Daly City. They regularly service pagoda tops, Gullwings, and will be servicing my 500E once I receive it in a few days. I was admiring a 20K mile w124 500e in their shop the other day.

kre8tive202

E500E Newbie
Ok I will check the modules when I get my DM in.

Definitely check for codes on all modules with a hand-held blink code reader. The built-in LED in front of the CAN box only shows codes from the DM, which only stores emissions-related codes. You must check all the other modules separately...

:cel:

Maui

Zivil Ingenieur
If it is a vacuum leak an easy way to find it is to disconnect one of the vacuum lines and blow smoke in to it. I was having a strange surging issue that appeared to be vacuum related. I simply blew cigar smoke into the manifold and found the brake booster vacuum line was not tight. After tightening the vacuum line the problem disappeared.

Maui

Zivil Ingenieur
Any hose that goes into the manifold. Be careful if the hoses are fossilized that you don't crack a hose.

kre8tive202

E500E Newbie
Ok, so pulled the codes;

Module: Codes:
Base Module: 5,6,7,9,10,11,17
EAC 3,6,14
ABS/ASR 1
ACC Push button control 1
SRS Control Unit 3,4,8

Cleared all the codes. This is the first time I have ever read these codes since owning this car and installing a donor motor from a SL 500. Would these codes even tell me anything. I was just gonna wait to see what codes come back.

jhodg5ck

"Nit-Picky and, Bitter Mechanic"
that Should have made a hell of a Sucking sound un capped!

Glad it's fixed. You might want to run a Small zip tie around it/order up some fresh rubber bits JIC it's worn and likes to pop out.

jono

J-Sauce

N2O Junkie
Glad you got it fixed! Sometimes we talk ourselves out of it being the simple solution since it just seems too dang easy.