• Hi Guest !

Welcome to the new 500Eboard forum, post-migration to XenForo. Please feel free to do the following:

1) Explore, click, tweak your settings, enjoy

2) Check out the new "skins" link at the bottom left of the main page, to change the look and feel (color scheme/graphics) of the forum to your preference

3) Let me know of any errors you find. I am hard at work in the coming days and weeks to get things tweaked correctly, and I know there are plenty of small tweaks. Feel free to post in the "XenForo Migration" thread anything you find, or have questions about.

Got My Finnie

a777fan

Awesome dan. I’d love to find a little box of parts like that if I bought an old car.

Great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LWB250

"But - but - he'll see the big board!!!"
Awesome dan. I’d love to find a little box of parts like that if I bought an old car.

Great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heh. I'm still looking under the back seats of the cars I buy hoping to find bundles of $20s that someone stashed there. So far no luck, just random bits of change, an occasional Cheeto, and a Starlight mint.

Dan

JC220

The link is working just fine for me. Thanks for the updates Dan and keep em coming!

Very nice work being done there and nice to see the car being brought back into decent shape :)

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Working now for me, as well. I tried it like 5 times and kept getting 404 errors before.

LWB250

Strange, not sure why you would have issues, but thanks for letting me know.

My web site is still authored with iWeb unfortunately, which means that a lot of more modern HTML functions aren’t supported, so I’m sensitive to issues that anyone encounters while looking at it. I wish there was a simple way of migrating it to something that hasn’t been end of life for close to 10 years, but I’ve got so much content and there’s no way I can just convert it over to something else without completely rebuilding it.

Dan

LWB250

Dan,

Very nice work, coming along very well, love the refinished wood!

Regards,
D
Thank you!

I am so stoked about the headliner and windshield/rear window seals getting done next week it's not funny. There is so much stuff I've got queued up that waiting on this job to be finished it's not funny. The wood has turned out really well, I think, and that's coming from someone who used to build custom hardwood furniture for a hobby. I'v never gone so far with varnish or hand rubbing a finish as I have on this car, and the results are astounding. Not quite Drew Tibken/Heritage Woodworks quality, but far beyond what I ever thought I could accomplish.

With a new dash pad, refinished interior wood trim, all the metalwork polished out to a high luster, it's going to look fantastic, I think.

And then I get to start in on the chassis. New front springs, sway bar bushings, driveshaft center bearing, new compensating spring, new swing arm bushings, etc., etc.

I'm looking to June for a completion date on all this.

Dan

TerryA

Dan,

I gotta say, you really jumped into your Finnie Resto w/ both feet. My hat’s off to you.

Your enthusiasm is great to see.

Keep Slugging Bro

lol

LWB250

Dan,

I gotta say, you really jumped into your Finnie Resto w/ both feet. My hat’s off to you.

Your enthusiasm is great to see.

Keep Slugging Bro

lol
Thank you.

It's an obsession, what can I say? I can't stand to have anything "not done".

Dan

LWB250

That dash assembly - wow what a difference! Really well done!!!

Regards,
D
Thanks! I should have the back seat all done and installed by the end of the day today and will follow up with a blog post on that.

I had a bit of a diversion with the arrival of my reproduction sill mats, so that slowed me down a little. I also got sidetracked pulling off the front passenger door cars to grease the door check and install a door check bumper I got from the German MB club. Of course, I had to clean and polish everything I removed, again a bit of a time suck.

Taking a break to feed the masses then it's back out to finish up the rear seat area and call it a day.

Dan

LWB250

Excellent!

Get ready, as this weekend will be the big front end job. New springs, spring pads and sway bar bushings. Once that's done I'll move to the rear suspension and prepare for trailing arm bushings, differential rubber bits, pinion shaft seal and a new center bearing and carrier on the drive shaft. After that, I think I'll be pretty darned close to done.

Dan

LWB250

Are you going to have a "Rusty Q" when this project is all done?
Not planning on it, Gerry. I've tried to organize a "FloridaQ" in the winter months a number of times over the years, as I have a perfect venue (60 acre private park) for it that costs me nothing, but have never gotten enough people interested to make it happen. I figured anyone north of the Mason-Dixon Line would jump at the opportunity to come to Florida in the winter....especially for something Mercedes related.

Dan

Last edited:

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
I've seen dozens of supposedly NOS white wheels (and black ones) at the Veterama, the Techno-Classica, and other swap meets in Germany, but admittedly that was 15 years ago. Many of them were probably refinished/redone, but there are plenty of vendors in Germany and Europe that carry them. I used to go to both of those shows every year.

Have you worked with Heinrich Niemöller outside of Mannheim? They were at one time a go-to vendor for me. There's also Werner Karasch & Co GmbH, in Gelsenkirchen, just to the east of Essen. These folks sell new and repro parts mainly.

My friend Marc van de Velde in Belgium also has dozens of Finnies of all shapes and sizes stored at his yard in Belgium, so if you needed anything used, he would be a possibility too.

Cheers,
Gerry

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Not planning on it, Gerry. I've tried to organize a "FloridaQ" in the winter months a number of times over the years, as I have a perfect venue (60 acre private park) for it that costs me nothing, but have never gotten enough people interested to make it happen. I figured anyone north of the Mason-Dixon Line would jump at the opportunity to come to Florida in the winter....especially for something Mercedes related.

Dan
I was just giving you a combination :stickpoke: and :chainyank: actually.

I'll be in Orlando in early June to go to Disney World, but no travel plans to Florida in my future other than that, at this point.

LWB250

I've seen dozens of supposedly NOS white wheels (and black ones) at the Veterama, the Techno-Classica, and other swap meets in Germany, but admittedly that was 15 years ago. Many of them were probably refinished/redone, but there are plenty of vendors in Germany and Europe that carry them. I used to go to both of those shows every year.

Have you worked with Heinrich Niemöller outside of Mannheim? They were at one time a go-to vendor for me. There's also Werner Karasch & Co GmbH, in Gelsenkirchen, just to the east of Essen.

Cheers,
Gerry
This was one of the last two that Mercedes had in stock as new parts. They list for around $1,000, but with the assistance of someone with access to the parts pricing system I found that the part was on the price adjustment list that they do annually that kicks in April 1st. Dealer net was dropped significantly on the part, meaning that I was able to buy it for less than half the list price. Because domestic dealers can't see stock in Germany on a part that's available in the US, there was no way to know if there were more than the two showing up in Paragon. I bought one as soon as the price change went into effect, someone bought the other one shortly after. When the domestic inventory went to "0", there were no more to be had - Germany had no stock.

I am familiar with Niemöller, but I don't use them. They tend to be pricey for stuff I can get domestically at wholesale. I do have a great German supplier at https://www.mbclassics.de who has some really great deals on NLA and reproduction parts. They ship almost instantaneously and have excellent customer service.

Dan

LWB250

So most of the cosmetic stuff is now done. I need to source some door weatherstripping and replace the firewall material, which I current have on the shelf, but that’s about it.

Tomorrow I start in on mechanicals. I’ve got a set of new springs for the front of the car along with new sway bar bushings that I’ll be installing. Once that’s done I’ll move to the rear to do trailing arm bushings, springs, driveshaft center bearing and carrier, and a pinion seal along with a bunch of the rubber bits for the rear axle.

At that point I’ll be near 100% finished. If I haven’t totally burned out on the car at that point it will be my weekend fun car. If I’m sick of looking at it, it might go to BAT to fund a nicer example of the same....

Dan