• Hi Guest !

Welcome to the new 500Eboard forum, post-migration to XenForo. Please feel free to do the following:

1) Explore, click, tweak your settings, enjoy

2) Check out the new "skins" link at the bottom left of the main page, to change the look and feel (color scheme/graphics) of the forum to your preference

3) Let me know of any errors you find. I am hard at work in the coming days and weeks to get things tweaked correctly, and I know there are plenty of small tweaks. Feel free to post in the "XenForo Migration" thread anything you find, or have questions about.

How test 1432 System

Maui

Zivil Ingenieur
Three years ago I sent my radio and amplifier from my 1992 500E to Becker to have them freshened up and to install a ear phone jack so I could play my iTunes from my phone through the radio. BTW, they were working when I sent them in but I wanted them to be like new. When I installed the rebuilt head and amp they would not work. I fiddled with them for a couple weeks and sent them back to Becker. They did something, I suppose, and sent them back. When I installed them this time the radio would light up, accept a cassette tape and the antenna would go up but after about five seconds the tape would spit out without making a sound and the radio would turn off. The radio does not even ask for code it just lights up for a few seconds, spits out the cassette and turns off. At the time I became very frustrated that I had spent several hundred dollars and at least a couple months dealing with Becker I decided it wasn't worth my time pursueing it. So, for three years I have had no working radio.

What I would like to know is where can I find a schematic of the wiring between the head unit and the amp and how can I test the connections? Becker had told me the radio worked on their bench, but I could not get it work in the car. Incidentally, I purchased a used head unit afterward from a member here and it did work but made a terrible thumping sound through the speakers every time it was turned on and had a lot of static. It wasn't a good option. I'd really like to get the stock system working. Appreciate any advice.

gsxr

.036 Hoonigan™, E500E Boffin
Staff member
Ken,

There are some basic schematics of the 1432 two-piece system in the ETM. See PDF page 95 (printed page 131/6) for the head unit, tuner/amp, and antenna. PDF page 101 (printed page 133/1) shows the fader & speaker wiring.

For testing, I don't know what you could do except make sure each end of the wiring has continuity, meaning there's no damage to the connecting cables. And confirming power/ground appears where expected.

Link to ETM (74MB download): http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB CD/W124/w124CD1/Program/ETM/ETM.pdf

:shocking:

Maui

Zivil Ingenieur
Unfortunately I can't test the 1432 radio in my other E500 because it's a 1994.

northNH

I have a fully functional 1432 with changer in my coupe (and sounds perfectly acceptable BTW with front Rainbows);
If it's the best you can come up with, send me the HU and I'll plug 'er in there and see what's up...

Your HU acts like mine when it's below 0° and the car has slept outside.

Trae

Ken,

My Renntech has been doing the same thing for years. . . Becker told me it is the amplifier, but I have not sent the head unit and amp To Becker yet.

Been listening to the sweet Renntech exhaust, but the wife wants music.

Based on your report, I will continue to wait. Keep us posted.