• Hi Guest !

Welcome to the new 500Eboard forum, post-migration to XenForo. Please feel free to do the following:

1) Explore, click, tweak your settings, enjoy

2) Check out the new "skins" link at the bottom left of the main page, to change the look and feel (color scheme/graphics) of the forum to your preference

3) Let me know of any errors you find. I am hard at work in the coming days and weeks to get things tweaked correctly, and I know there are plenty of small tweaks. Feel free to post in the "XenForo Migration" thread anything you find, or have questions about.

Infared Remote (IR RCL)

msq

I have an Infared remote unit with my car (car was imported from Europe, so it is a European Model).
The car came with Option Code 880 Locking/Closing System with Infared Remote and not the 885 Code Locking/Closing System with Infared Remote and Immobilizer (I am glad it does not have this).

In any case, I have one Infared/Key Remote for locking/unlocking and the spare set of keys are just manual/mechanical keys.

I looked in this forum in advance (so as not to waste anyones time) and other places on the web and I can not find a place to buy a spare Infared Remote. I can find plenty of places that just sell the empty IR Remote case, but none with the "IR guts".

Since I am not sure this (880 code) was an option on U.S. W124's (not 100% sure of this), I suspect my local MB dealer will have no idea if/where/how to get a spare key/remote.

Any idea:
1. if it's possible to get a spare IR Remote?
2. if it is possible to get a spare one, does anyone know how to sync it with my car (I have the procedure for resynching the existing IR Remote I have if I have to replace batteries and have them out > 1 minute)

Last edited:

gsxr

.036 Hoonigan™, E500E Boffin
Staff member
With a Euro-spec car in USA, your local dealer can order most all the Euro-specific parts, if you provide proof of registration/title in USA. If you get any hassle, contact Tom Hanson at the MB Classic Center in SoCal, he'll take care of you.

:jono:

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
I do not believe the early IRCL keys are currently available from MB. I was able to obtain one new from MB for my 1995 G-wagen in 2014, but I’ve heard they have been unavailable for the past couple of years.

I also know for a fact that MB is in the final stages of qualifying a new subcontractor to bring them into production again. This production is slated to begin in 2020.

As Dave said, talk to Tom Hanson at the MB Classic Center. I got my IRCL key from him. At the time it was well over $200.

msq

Yea, I believe the dealer I bought the car from checked with the local MB dealer in his city and he could not get one from him, so I will check with the person at MB Classic Center that you guys suggest.
I know if available it will not be inexpensive!

ghm

I am also looking for a IR key, for my 95 Euro sportline cab. I contacted Tom Hanson at the MB Classic Center some months ago and Tom was unable to get a new IRCL key, though he did source a regular key for me. msq, if you find a source please post. Otherwise will look forward to this new subcontractor coming on line.

msq

I am also looking for a IR key, for my 95 Euro sportline cab. I contacted Tom Hanson at the MB Classic Center some months ago and Tom was unable to get a new IRCL key, though he did source a regular key for me. msq, if you find a source please post. Otherwise will look forward to this new subcontractor coming on line.
Ok, thanks for the heads up. I was wondering if they were available since an MB dealer in Switzerland could not get one. I'll wait for the the new subcontractor to come on line also, in the meantime @ghm, if I find a source (which is doubtful) I will let you know.
Anticipating they may not be available I was wondering if it was possible to find a generic (non MB specific) IR device and "program" it to work with my car. I realize it's Infared (not radio), so I am not even sure that is possible, but I keep thinking "there's go to be a way".
Maybe someone here on this board knows something about IR technology that has an idea?

JC220

I have read before that these w124 IR keys can be re-programmed. I did find re coding instructions before online to do this. (No special equipment needed IIRC)

I do have one good used w124 IR key fob available. If you feel you might be able to have a blank key cut to suit it and can re-programme it then PM me for details as it is available for sale.