• Hi Guest !

Welcome to the new 500Eboard forum, post-migration to XenForo. Please feel free to do the following:

1) Explore, click, tweak your settings, enjoy

2) Check out the new "skins" link at the bottom left of the main page, to change the look and feel (color scheme/graphics) of the forum to your preference

3) Let me know of any errors you find. I am hard at work in the coming days and weeks to get things tweaked correctly, and I know there are plenty of small tweaks. Feel free to post in the "XenForo Migration" thread anything you find, or have questions about.

LEGENDS OF THE AUTOBAHN AUGUST 24, 2018

captruff

I suppose it is time to mark the calendar for Monterey Car Week

This year Legends of the Autobahn will be August 24th 8:00-4:30

https://legendsoftheautobahn.org/

This year for Mercedes they will celebrate the 35th year for the W201 190E chassis.

Last year 2017

Jeff

Benz

I suppose it is time to mark the calendar for Monterey Car Week

This year Legends of the Autobahn will be August 24th 8:00-4:30

https://legendsoftheautobahn.org/

This year for Mercedes they will celebrate the 35th year for the W201 190E chassis.

Last year 2017

Jeff
Didnt get a chance to meet but I was at last years event nice seeing some of your machines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
CAPTRUFF / NTREPID / 600ERIC / KIPSTER

I'm planning to be in San Diego again on a business trip the week immediately before Legends. I would love to take the train up to the OC from San Diego again on the Wednesday afternoon, like I did two years ago, and either caravan up / drive up on the Thursday with y'all, if it works out again. If you need me to drive a car, I certainly can.

I have a 9:30 PM reservation out of SFO airport back to the East Coast (the ubiquitous GVZ coast-to-coast red-eye), so would need to bail at the end of the day of Legends to hoof it up to SF.

Do you guys have any early plans laid, hotel rooms, and so forth?

Cheers,
Gerry

captruff

CAPTRUFF / NTREPID / 600ERIC / KIPSTER

I'm planning to be in San Diego again on a business trip the week immediately before Legends. I would love to take the train up to the OC from San Diego again on the Wednesday afternoon, like I did two years ago, and either caravan up / drive up on the Thursday with y'all, if it works out again. If you need me to drive a car, I certainly can.

I have a 9:30 PM reservation out of SFO airport back to the East Coast (the ubiquitous GVZ coast-to-coast red-eye), so would need to bail at the end of the day of Legends to hoof it up to SF.

Do you guys have any early plans laid, hotel rooms, and so forth?

Cheers,
Gerry
Gerry:

No problem...you are welcome to stay at my house Wednesday evening and ride in one of my cars on the drive up Thursday. We already have rooms as before at the days Inn Downtown Monterey.

Jeff

RicardoD

I should be back again this year. Entering the 560SEC into preservation class. Time to get off my butt and get the headliner fixed.

600Eric

a.k.a. "CoalRollerEric"
Gerry:

No problem...you are welcome to stay at my house Wednesday evening and ride in one of my cars on the drive up Thursday. We already have rooms as before at the days Inn Downtown Monterey.

Jeff
:plusone: Yeah no problem Gerry. Other than for a number of 201's going up I don't know if the car situation has fully been determined yet. However given that I don't exactly fit too well in those Baby Benz's I will more than likely be driving the wife's R class or maybe the new G wagon and serving as a support vehicle this year.

:gwag:

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Sounds good guys. I can also rent a car in the OC and return it to SFO, if that helps the support-car situation at all for hauling stuff. I'd love to do the G with you Eric, but you are going to burn some SERIOUS gas up there and back, if you take it. All G's, no matter what engine is in them, seem to get around 13 MPG.....

Jeff, if you can put me in for a space at the hotel if you have room, that would be great. I can PayPal you any funds before the event.

Ricardo, looking forward to seeing you again !! Same with you Robert (will be fun to see you in the PRK rather than McAuliffe-land).

captruff

Gerry

I spoke with Anne Marie and she volunteered to pick you up from the train station as before. Our kick off dinner Wednesday night will be at Anjin as per usual and will assume you will be in attending.

As for the ride up we should have space for you. I’m pretty sure Eric will take the G class up and Kip I believe is planning to take his 6.3 so there will be a few empty seats to choose from if my calculations are correct.

Jeff

Sounds good guys. I can also rent a car in the OC and return it to SFO, if that helps the support-car situation at all for hauling stuff. I'd love to do the G with you Eric, but you are going to burn some SERIOUS gas up there and back, if you take it. All G's, no matter what engine is in them, seem to get around 13 MPG.....

Jeff, if you can put me in for a space at the hotel if you have room, that would be great. I can PayPal you any funds before the event.

Ricardo, looking forward to seeing you again !! Same with you Robert (will be fun to see you in the PRK rather than McAuliffe-land).

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Sounds great Jeff. Definitely plan on one (me) for Anjin on Wednesday night. I will likely take the Monterey Airporter bus to SFO ... there are buses that leave at 1600 and 1730, and either one will get me up to SFO in plenty of time for my flight departure back to Washington DC at 2130.

S70/2

Should be another great year, time really flies by. Who’s going to Rennsport in September also?

captruff

So here are the T-shirt options, there are 2

option 1

option 2

I'm estimating cost at $25.00 each, base shirts are American Apparel as before

Jeff

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
I’m down for one shirt Jeff. Either design that you settle on.

Next year let’s do jackets again !!

captruff

I’m down for one shirt Jeff. Either design that you settle on.

Next year let’s do jackets again !!
Gerry

I do want to do jackets.....I want to find a nice base jacket from the Mercedes Accesory catalog to start with and then perhaps customize a bit...we can discuss at Legends.

Jeff

I also like option 2. Love the last year's shirt...very cool. Uh...how about a different color option this year?

captruff

Ok final designs....both versions will be made.

Style JW, shirts will be black, available in M, L, XL, and XXL:

front

back

Style MS, shirts will be dark grey, available in M, L, XL, and XXL:

front

back

Please PM me with any interest you have. Special thanks to Kyle Jochai aka SheLovedE former 500E owner who is the graphic artist for all my stuff.

Jeff

vdubpower

wow id love to join this caravan....as i am in oc...and meet all the people...always appreciated your cars capt...at the various shows and meets

Ntrepid

Are they both black or is one black and the other a lighter shade? If so, I like the lighter shade with the orange.

Robert

ZombieBranz

I am local. If anyone has a mech issue during car week you can hit hit me up if you need to do a self repair.(hopefully not).

I have a standard garage tool set. Compressor, floor jacks, wrenches, hammer....etc.

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
That’s a kind offer, Zomb!

I was personally going to direct folks to jlaa’s beautiful shop in the hills of San Francisco.

captruff

I am local. If anyone has a mech issue during car week you can hit hit me up if you need to do a self repair.(hopefully not).

I have a standard garage tool set. Compressor, floor jacks, wrenches, hammer....etc.
Appreciate the offer! Hopefully we will not have any mechanical issues, but you never know.

If you decide to come out to the show please stop by and say hello.

Jeff

Trae

Would love to attend someday. . . BTW, the Jonomobile received a 3rd place trophy in show class, 2 door coupe at Starfest Birmingham in May.

It lost points because of the very things I like about it. All the mods.

Hope you guys have a great time!

Melville

Would love to attend someday. . . BTW, the Jonomobile received a 3rd place trophy in show class, 2 door coupe at Starfest Birmingham in May.

It lost points because of the very things I like about it. All the mods.

Hope you guys have a great time!
Apologies for going off topic of Legends, but this post lines up with a thought I had today. I took my 500E out for a drive since it’s been relaxing in the garage for a while and I was thinking that my mods like FGS valve body and sway bar would not suit the character and purpose of the car when new but do now. When new, an E500E (or 560SEC) was a daily driver for a captain of industry. You’d want power and handling on tap, but not to the detriment of a comfortable ride. Those qualities would appear when the car is pushed. But now, these cars are used when the driver wants a driving experience. In effect, what these cars “are” has changed. For a car that gets 10,000 miles per year of city and highway driving, suspension and FGS mods would be annoying. But for 2,000 miles per year of fun driving, they’re perfect.

What these cars "are" may have changed for some but not all. My '94 E500 has been my daily driver since 2006, about 7,000 miles per year.

RicardoD

:pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed:

Guys, I'm out now, can't make it. I will be in China, in a factory, on 8/24. It is what pays the mboemparts bills. I was so looking forward to the show this year. Please take some good photos for me.

Last edited:

Jlaa

I'll see you guys there - thanks, captruff, for making it easy. ;-)
Ntrepid - I will collect my fee for the C36. Standard Yakuza fee - I will require the pinky finger from your left hand.

:eek: :)

RicardoD

There is the wildcard chance, I will get selected for some form of Jury duty next week, extending to the beginning of next week but finishing before Friday which is my only way out (and save face with the execs at work). Worst case I will get dragged into some kind of extended OJ Trial killing both my work and personal life.

Jlaa

There is the wildcard chance, I will get selected for some form of Jury duty next week, extending to the beginning of next week but finishing before Friday which is my only way out (and save face with the execs at work). Worst case I will get dragged into some kind of extended OJ Trial killing both my work and personal life.
D.R. - I can empathize. I've been to my fair share of ODM's factories in China as well - Dongguan, Suzhou, Shenzhen, etc.
I will mention that I had an epiphany not long ago when I decided to change my vocation - if you're working for the man, work will never ever ever love you back.

You'll do what you gotta do. :-O :)

Ntrepid

Ntrepid - I will collect my fee for the C36. Standard Yakuza fee - I will require the pinky finger from your left hand.

:eek: :)
You’ll have to take the ring finger (your choice of hand) as my pinky is used for “Pinky Promise” duties! Left ring finger you’ll have to fight my wife for and I use the thumb, index, and especially the middle finger on both! :agree:

Robert

Last edited:

RicardoD

I might still make it! My Jury Duty responsibilities killed my ability to travel to China, now I hope I either don't get selected for the Jury early next week, or on Friday court is not is session like today. I need to clean up the 560SEC this weekend.

captruff

I might still make it! My Jury Duty responsibilities killed my ability to travel to China, now I hope I either don't get selected for the Jury early next week, or on Friday court is not is session like today. I need to clean up the 560SEC this weekend.
Sounds great. Hope to see you in the field.

Jeff

RicardoD

Another great Legends is in the books and our man Captruff won it all again with Best of Show with his 190E 2.3-16. Jlaa also won an award for cleanest door hinges and best refurbished front grill. It was fun to see Kip, Captruff (Jeff), Gerry, 600Eric, Ntrepid (Robert), Jlaa, and HowardK. Gerry graciously pointed out the missing bits in my 560SEC engine bay and gave me some practical next steps for the car.

A big thank you to Captruff/Leistung for allowing me to part take in their group BBQ & Beer. That was as good as the show itself. I have to buy 20 t-shirts to make up for it next year.

Jeff and the Leistung gang
IMG_1220.jpg

My 560SEC which will get its silver star preservation class participating trophy in the mail (that's +$10k on a BAT auction!)
DSCF5064.jpg

Jlaa collecting his award for cleanest door hinges and refurbished grill
DSCF5094.jpg

Jeff taking the brass ring yet again. But when you see his cars and listen to him talk to the details it obvious why it's well deserved. Congrats to Jeff!
DSCF5128.jpg

My full photo album is here:
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0w5ON9t3mmA1M

Last edited:

Jlaa

What a wonderful time it was today meeting everyone! Indeed, there is no more generous group of enthusiasts around than captruff-Jeff, Matt, Anne-Marie, and the rest of the Leistung gang --- big thanks to all for your gracious hospitality and willingness to share food/beverages and your time.

Som observations from me in no particular order -

• Kip is a standout judge with peerless integrity. And if I buy another MB some time, it will be a Pagoda 230/250/280 whatever. And I'll blame, I mean thank, Kip. :)
  • I am very jealous of HowardK's silver 036...
  • It was immensely gratifying to see Ntrepid enjoying the show with his own father
  • I have never ever ever listened to such much Diana Krall at 7am in the morning. I thought Diana Krall is 10pm lounge music. If you're listening to Diana Krall in the morning then what do you listen to in the evening?:wtf:
  • Anjin's sausages, which Team Stupid were grilling up, are addictive. Like crack addictive.
  • The secret to captruff success is that he individually wraps and bags his microfiber towels BEFORE use, so that when he does use it, it is free of dirt. Now THAT'S dedication.
  • So 600Eric did a great job making me feel better by pointing out they he and captruff, like me, both use Costco microfiber towels! Whew! I don't have to feel inadequate for not using esoteric beaucoup-de-$$$$ microfiber towels!! But, unfortunately, 600Eric then shattered that illusion by saying, "yeah, they're so cheap that they are disposable! One time use!" Uhhh... I launder mine? A lot? :doh:
  • Ricardo's SEC was a steal for the $$$ he paid for it!!!
  • There exists, in this universe, a number of people who own 4 --- that's FOUR original gull wings. Whether than number is greater than one, I do not know....
I had a great time, and dutifully inspected at least 30+ repainted grilles. With smug satisfaction, I noted that my own grille repaint job was clearly superior. :)

Two of my fav pics:

DSC_8337.JPG DSC_8357.JPG

SG-Motorsports

E500E Newbie
Thanks for sharing all those pics! I wanted to make it this year so bad but it just wasn't meant to be.

My favorite of those pics is the one with the rear quarter shot of the black SEC with all the BMW 6's in the background. It's like the principal is scolding all the little school kids on who's the boss, haha!

Congrats to Jeff for Best of show! Again!!!!

makemann

Great shots RicardoD! Thanks for sharing. Especially like the green wagon.

Congrats to the winners!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Many thanks to Jeff, 600Eric and their Team Stupid crew for a great couple of days. Rode with Anne-Marie part of the way up from Orange County and Kip (in his pristine 300SEL 6.3) the rest of the way up to Monterey.

One highlight was visiting the Mercedes/AMG "Star Lounge" on 17-Mile Drive, and a great dinner meal at Turn 12 restaurant with the group, in downtown Monterey on Thursday night. Tooling around with 600Eric in his G-wagen was also lots of fun.

Great food, great friends, great cars....

Unfortunately, I didn't take too many photos (and RicardoD documented quite nicely and competently the field at Legends of the Autobahn), but posting a few that I did take. Had to bail at 2PM on Friday to head up to SFO Airport to catch a red-eye flight back to Baltimore, and everything went smoothly.

Was great seeing captruff, 600Eric, Ntrepid and his father, Albert, Kip, RicardoD, jlaa, meeting HowardK, and meeting 5SR for the first time. There were a number of E500Es both on the field and in the car corral, though 16V cars were much better represented this year.

Congrats to jlaa and captruff for their wins.

Cheers,
Gerry

On the Amtrak train from downtown San Diego up to Orange County to meet captruff and crew. The train goes right on the beach in north San Diego County.
2018-08-22 16.16.34.jpg 2018-08-22 16.16.45.jpg

Wednesday evening, getting ready to adjust the latch on 600Eric's G-wagen for proper hood closure in his driveway.
2018-08-22 17.15.37.jpg

Yummy dinner on Wednesday night at Anjin.
2018-08-22 18.58.08.jpg

A few shots of Kip's 1969 300SEL 6.3 during a fuel stop on the way to Monterey. I love this car because it's the same year and exterior color as the one I formerly owned.
2018-08-23 07.59.16.jpg 2018-08-23 07.59.34.jpg 2018-08-23 07.59.22.jpg 2018-08-23 10.24.08.jpg

And some shots of the other cars in our caravan from South to North....
2018-08-23 10.25.37.jpg 2018-08-23 10.25.42.jpg 2018-08-23 10.25.47.jpg

After arrival in Monterey ... untaping the lower quarters of captruff's Best of Show 16V car in the Days Inn parking lot.
2018-08-23 11.52.58.jpg 2018-08-23 11.53.14.jpg

More coming shortly......

RicardoD

Makemann,

The green W123 wagon was one of my show favorites as well. You will see a spread on that car in Mercedes Star magazine soon. Owner got it from London and claims its all original and nothing has been touched. The Cocomats was the only recent addition to the vehicle. I grew up with a 1979 maroon W123 Wagon that my parents owned for over 20 years and then it got totaled in an accident. :( I learned to drive in that car.

DSCF4947.jpg

And my one picture of Kip's gorgeous 6.3 I had was massively out of focus (EDIT: Thx Gerry for properly documenting it). Somebody has the picture of me, 600Eric and Gerry.

Last edited:

Harv

The green W123 wagon was one of my show favorites as well. You will see a spread on that car in Mercedes Star magazine soon. Owner got it from London and claims its all original and nothing has been touched. The Cocomats was the only recent addition to the vehicle. I grew up with a 1979 maroon W123 Wagon that my parents owned for over 20 years and then it got totaled in an accident. :( I learned to drive in that car.
This is JG's car. His work is some of the best in the industry.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmtDCS-Bz2G/?taken-by=mercedesmotoring

Jlaa

A few shots of Kip's 1969 300SEL 6.3 during a fuel stop on the way to Monterey. I love this car because it's the same year and exterior color as the one I formerly owned.
View attachment 80064 View attachment 80065 View attachment 80066 View attachment 80067
I very much admired Kip's 6.3. I thought it was a pity that these older classics from, say, 1950s-1970s were not nearly as voluminous in number as the number of 1960s/70s BMWs on display. Has it always been like this? Perhaps this is because many of those BMWs on display were (lovely) 2002s, which are/were more accessible --- more were made and even today they are more accessible. Just a hypothesis.

After arrival in Monterey ... untaping the lower quarters of captruff's Best of Show 16V car in the Days Inn parking lot.
View attachment 80071 View attachment 80072
Oh I didn't notice this before! There are two kinds of tape here. Standard blue painter's tape is pretty thick (as far as painter's tape goes) --- but why the yellow tape on the borders?

atg

I very much admired Kip's 6.3. I thought it was a pity that these older classics from, say, 1950s-1970s were not nearly as voluminous in number as the number of 1960s/70s BMWs on display. Has it always been like this? Perhaps this is because many of those BMWs on display were (lovely) 2002s, which are/were more accessible --- more were made and even today they are more accessible. Just a hypothesis.

Oh I didn't notice this before! There are two kinds of tape here. Standard blue painter's tape is pretty thick (as far as painter's tape goes) --- but why the yellow tape on the borders?
The green stuff is stickier I think. Both colors come in a variety of tack strengths. Some cannot be left long before they become a bit too sticky.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk