• Hi Guest !

Welcome to the new 500Eboard forum, post-migration to XenForo. Please feel free to do the following:

1) Explore, click, tweak your settings, enjoy

2) Check out the new "skins" link at the bottom left of the main page, to change the look and feel (color scheme/graphics) of the forum to your preference

3) Let me know of any errors you find. I am hard at work in the coming days and weeks to get things tweaked correctly, and I know there are plenty of small tweaks. Feel free to post in the "XenForo Migration" thread anything you find, or have questions about.

NOW AVAILABLE: Reproduction factory data cards

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
That's a wrap, folks! Again, sincere thanks for the business. It was a pleasure helping ya'll.
22 cards produced in total.

Data Card Orders Completed

1. outrbnks (2 500Es) -- completed, paid & mailed
  2. 600Eric -- completed, paid & mailed
  3. r44raven -- completed, paid & mailed
  4. Lynch -- completed, paid & mailed
  5. jaymanek -- completed, paid & mailed
  6. zewok --completed, paid & mailed
  7. skikrazey -- completed, paid & mailed
  8. JC220 (2 cards) -- completed, paid & mailed
  9. makemann -- completed, paid & mailed
  10. obiana (2 cards) -- completed, paid & mailed
  11. SamSL -- completed, paid & mailed
  12. Kip (2 cards) -- completed, paid & mailed
  13. 500AMM-- completed, paid & mailed
  14. cole67-- completed, paid & mailed
  15. kinglaw-- completed, paid & mailed
  16. bing-- completed, paid & mailed
  17. Stutz--completed, paid & mailed
  18. 500ESpain -- completed, paid & mailed

Data Card Orders CANCELLED

1. 036/199
  2. Rudy
  3. tomer
  4. Euro 500

obiana

E500E Newbie
Thanks Gerry, have received mine too here in Germany. I do not know when exactly they have arived as I was out for business. They are absoltuley stunning, very well done mate!

I am happy.

Willi

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Thanks very much for the confirmation that you received your data cards, and I'm glad they arrived safe and sound to you. And more importantly, that you are happy with them!!

Best regards.
Gerry

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
A couple more requests have come in over the past couple of days for data cards.

Is there anyone else before I extend my last call slightly? I've GOT to spend more time in the shop with my cars, rather than in front of the computer doing data cards.

LAST CALL.

gsxr

.036 Hoonigan™, E500E Boffin
Staff member
A couple more requests have come in over the past couple of days for data cards.

Is there anyone else before I extend my last call slightly? I've GOT to spend more time in the shop with my cars, rather than in front of the computer doing data cards.

LAST CALL.
I can cross-post over at BW and see if we can keep you out of the shop a little longer. Just let me know!

:teufel:

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
I can cross-post over at BW and see if we can keep you out of the shop a little longer. Just let me know!

:teufel:
Nobody at BW can afford the $35 for a data card. They are either a) too cheap and should not be owning Benzes in the first place; b) too ignorant to know what a data card even is, let alone see the need to actually have one.

Too late though....spent most of the afternoon out in the shop, and got a lot of work done on the coupe. HOW-TOs coming soon.....

JC220

Gerry – just a note to say I’ve just returned home from Australia and my data cards were waiting for me in my mail. You did a top job on them –thankyou very much!
Even the card used is identical to the original data cards :nobmw:

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Glad you liked them and they came through in the Queen's (Royal) Mail OK.

Yes, I use a heavier "Card stock" paper for printing them, which is very close to the original MB card stock. Unfortunately I have no way to make the original perforations in the edge of the paper.

I'm contemplating doing US dealer "window stickers" next. These would be significantly more expensive (and larger), though.

gsxr

Staff member
I'm contemplating doing US dealer "window stickers" next. These would be significantly more expensive (and larger), though.
And, that's a lot more complicated as well! There are decent repops available on eBay [edit: for WINDSHIELD decals, not MSRP sheets] . The tricky part is making sure you are getting a period-correct item, as the [windshield] stickers changed about five times over three decades.

:pc1:

LWB250

"But - but - he'll see the big board!!!"
Could there be repercussions for reproducing the "Monroney" stickers? Are they trademarked or copyrighted in some form?

These were not on the cars from the factory - they were printed at the "prep centers" at the ports of entry in most cases. The Classic Center or MBUSA used to offer reproductions of them up until a few years ago. I'll bet Tom Hansen would know if they're still available...I'll drop him a note and ask.

Dan

gsxr

Staff member
Could there be repercussions for reproducing the "Monroney" stickers? Are they trademarked or copyrighted in some form?

These were not on the cars from the factory - they were printed at the "prep centers" at the ports of entry in most cases. The Classic Center or MBUSA used to offer reproductions of them up until a few years ago. I'll bet Tom Hansen would know if they're still available...I'll drop him a note and ask.
Last I saw, Tom did have repops available from MBCC, but I think they were not period-correct for the W124... they were the next generation newer.

:apl:

LWB250

Last I saw, Tom did have repops available from MBCC, but I think they were not period-correct for the W124... they were the next generation newer.

:apl:
Tom says he never did Monroney stickers, Montvale did them. I'll check with someone I know there tomorrow.

Dan

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
I have never seen a proper and appropriate window sticker reproduced by MBUSA.

What I would need to reproduce the window stickers would be photographs of a real 1992, 1993 and 1994 sticker. I have the base sticker from the time period, but it doesn't have E500E specifics. So, I would need to have them from multiple E500E years to ensure proper accuracy. To really make them accurate, I'd also need each owner to get the appropriate information as to the actual port of entry (there were multiple ports used), original selling dealer, and so forth. There is a LOT more work involved with a window sticker than with a data card, which has stock info that is lifted from the EPC.

It's likely that each window sticker would run probably in the $100+ range due to the amount of custom work involved, and I don't know if most owners are "down" with getting the information I'd need to create a truly accurate sticker.

I'm not worried about copyright issues on a throwaway MB window sticker for a car that is 25 years old.

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
It took slightly over 2 weeks to arrive in the mail and I'm glad it did. Great looking card! Thanks.
Wow, that's a long time just to Canada, but I'm glad the cards arrived safe and sound, and that you are happy with how they turned out. Thank you for your business!

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
I have never seen a proper and appropriate window sticker reproduced by MBUSA.

What I would need to reproduce the window stickers would be photographs of a real 1992, 1993 and 1994 sticker. I have the base sticker from the time period, but it doesn't have E500E specifics. So, I would need to have them from multiple E500E years to ensure proper accuracy. To really make them accurate, I'd also need each owner to get the appropriate information as to the actual port of entry (there were multiple ports used), original selling dealer, and so forth. There is a LOT more work involved with a window sticker than with a data card, which has stock info that is lifted from the EPC.

It's likely that each window sticker would run probably in the $100+ range due to the amount of custom work involved, and I don't know if most owners are "down" with getting the information I'd need to create a truly accurate sticker.

I'm not worried about copyright issues on a throwaway MB window sticker for a car that is 25 years old.
Attached is a proper window sticker for 1995 model year MBs.

I believe it may also be appropriate for 1994 cars, but NOT for 1992 and 1993 (pre-facelift) models. So, I need to get my hands on a physical copy of a 1992/1993 window sticker, as there will likely be two versions of them depending on one’s model year.

Cheers,
Gerry

Attachments

gsxr

Staff member
Sorry, when you said "stickers", I was thinking the small white rectangles MBUSA stuck inside the windshield on the passenger side. Previous post edited.

Dan is right, I thought there was a way to get a reproduction side-window MSRP paperwork from MB?

:oops:

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Sorry, when you said "stickers", I was thinking the small white rectangles MBUSA stuck inside the windshield on the passenger side. Previous post edited.
The small white rectangles have been discussed here, ad nauseum. Yes, I was talking about "Monroney" window sticker reproductions.

gsxr

Staff member
Yes, I was talking about "Monroney" window sticker reproductions.
The Monroneys will cause no end of 'shroom/cream/parchment/saffron/chamPIGnon/truffle discussions since the sheet includes interior color names.

Not to mention Gray vs Grey!

:stirthepot:

Attachments

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
My research this morning (posted in this thread) shows that MB used the same format of dealer window sticker through model year 1995, so it is a single form that covers all of the years of the E500E, as well as the late W/C126. This means that after I do a full scan of my window sticker, I can spend some time cleaning it up and creating the first draft "mockup" of it.

What I need from folks here, is an actual photograph of a 1992/1993/1994 dealer window sticker, if you possess such. I am sure that a number of you have them; I would appreciate a cell phone photo (close up) of your complete sticker so I can match the text appropriately to my scan. I also need to carefully match and balance the color scheme as part of the initial "clean-up"/mock-up process. If you can take a photo of your window sticker for me, please e-mail your photo to me at gerry@vanzandt.us

Then I can begin to offer this as a service.

Some further research also shows that MBUSA in some cases can provide copies of original window stickers, and in other cases cannot -- or will not. It is inconsistent. However, it appears that MBUSA DOES have copies in their archives of each car's dealer window sticker. Approximately 20 years ago, I was able to contact MBUSA to obtain a photocopy of the original window sticker for my 1969 300SEL 6.3.

Another avenue could be to go to the originating stealership where one's car was sold, if known. It is likely that they also have copies/records of window stickers for particular sold cars.

Cheers,
Gerry

Ntrepid

Do you know if he has both the Mercedes-Benz and Daimler-Benz versions?
I'll have to check Dave. I did order from Tom a 1995 windshield sticker but your question now has me wondering if it is the correct one. I'll find out.

Robert

LWB250

Called my contact in Montvale this morning. They’re checking to see if the Monroney stickers are still available. I’ll report back what they find out.

Dan

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Called my contact in Montvale this morning. They’re checking to see if the Monroney stickers are still available. I’ll report back what they find out.

Dan
They still have people in Montvale? I thought MB moved their HQ to the Atlanta area in the past year or so....

:dasauf:

LWB250

They still have people in Montvale? I thought MB moved their HQ to the Atlanta area in the past year or so....

:dasauf:
Atlanta. They just finished moving the last vestiges of Montvale to Atlanta last month, I believe. The owner’s support/MercedesMe folks were the last to go. I have Montvale on the brain when I think of MBUSA....

Dan

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
I have Montvale on the brain when I think of MBUSA....
That's quite OK. GSXR reflexively has said "MBNA" and has for as long as I've known him. Even though the company re-name happened around 1999. (I think it goes along with his green-screen EPC & Windows 95/NT favoritism, Luddism that is particularly ironic given his distaste for CIS-E and the W123 chassis ;-)).

Muscle memory :)

S500E

E500E Newbie
Are you taking any new orders for the reproduction factory data cards at this time?
If yes, interested in purchasing. Please use the VIN from the sticker emailed to you.
Thank you.

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
A few new data card requests have rolled in, so I'll do a very limited production run, to be performed on WEDNESDAY APRIL 25.

If you want to be in this production run, please contact me ASAP (by midnight Tuesday, April 24) for scheduling into the queue.

All newly requested data cards will be shipped on THURSDAY, APRIL 26.

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
It's been a few months .... anyone interested in a factory-style data card for their service manual?

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
I have some time during the Holiday break, if anyone is interested in having a data card reproduced. Just shoot me a PM if interested.

Cheers,
Gerry

Maui

Zivil Ingenieur
I was curious to see if you had made any progress on the reproduction window sticker idea?

nocfn

E500E Guru
I have my C126 window sticker, OPO laminated it and out it in the seat pocket. If needed GVZ, let me know.

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
I've had a couple of recent requests for data cards, which I've been fulfilling over the past day or two. Any other folks interested in getting a data card for your car before I shut down production again for a while?

See first post for what you get for the $35.

Cheers,
Gerry

:runexe:

d.com%2Fforums%2Fimages%2Fimported%2F2018%2F05%2F3.gif

liviu165

Yes, I am interested if is possible for C126 too please, and sorry for being so late to the party. This thread has too many posts to read, but I am assuming you need the VIN and $35. I'll PM.

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Yes, I've done a fair number of 126 (SECs, mainly) both of the US and Yurro variety. Data card base is on hand for that, and fast turnaround.

AMG5pt4 (alydon) is one recipient.