• Hi Guest !

Welcome to the new 500Eboard forum, post-migration to XenForo. Please feel free to do the following:

1) Explore, click, tweak your settings, enjoy

2) Check out the new "skins" link at the bottom left of the main page, to change the look and feel (color scheme/graphics) of the forum to your preference

3) Let me know of any errors you find. I am hard at work in the coming days and weeks to get things tweaked correctly, and I know there are plenty of small tweaks. Feel free to post in the "XenForo Migration" thread anything you find, or have questions about.

ORIS trailer hook

jano

E500E Newbie
hitched

I cannot fit my bicycle into my e500, even when removing the front and back wheels. A number of bike racks exist, but they all leave the bike too close to the paint which I don't want to mar. The best bike racks seem to be those that attach to a hitch. Fleabay appear to have a hitch for w124s, at about $300.. seems a bit steep. My gf's dad welded a hitch to her car, but I won't let him near mine - I want something removable.

Is there an oem hitch available for the w124's? I've seen the occasional jab here in the forum, and believe me, I'm embarrassed, but it is for a good cause :) My e500 is a DD.

Ideas?

JordiC

Re: hitched

You must have a large bike. I can fit my 52cm road bike just fine with only the front wheel removed. It even fits in my Audi A4. Hitches are sore subjects around here but you are not towing anything heavy and causing drive train stress so we will be nice. :) I'm not aware of any special hitches but I would suggest choosing a model that has the least invasive attachment method. Bicycles are rarely over 30lbs plus the weight of the rack itself so it doesn't have to be heavy duty. I think the only MB accessory is the roof mount bicycle rack but that may also cause paint marring.

gsxr

.036 Hoonigan™, E500E Boffin
Staff member

Yep, there is an OE accessory hitch available for all 124's, including the .036 chassis. But I know nothing about it, no part numbers, nor price, availability, etc... sorry!

:apl:

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member

I believe the European Intro to Service manual (yes I have it in English, GSXR) says the following with regard to towing:

Trailer operation

This model is not intended for trailer operation.
Consequently no trailer towing device is avail-
able, not even for subsequent installation.

Cheers,
Gerry

gsxr

.036 Hoonigan™, E500E Boffin
Staff member

Yep... it was available for the 400E, and it will bolt up to the 500E, as shown in the photo above. Might be available from Europe for ~$1k or so? Could be NLA however...

:wormhole:

Ron500E

Keyboard Warrior

JordiC said:
This model is not intended for trailer operation. --
Apparently this guy didn't read the manual.
[attachment=0:14qcun9o]500E Towing 911.jpg[/attachment:14qcun9o]
Well, he's not the only one, director John Frankenheimer didn't bother either.
He used a 500E to tow an M5, at speed, during the filming of "Ronin" according to the directors cut of the movie. 500E's have been pulling M5's around ever since.....

Kind Regards,

Ron

jano

E500E Newbie

Jordi, where are you fitting the bike? Into the back seat or the trunk?

I'll try playing with it this weekend again. I was thinking maying removing the seat cushions or something. I don't really travel all that much with the bike, but here and there would be nice.

need2speed

E500E Newbie

Another option is the W124 roof rack, and great for skis too. Just remember when driving into the garage!!

JordiC

jano said:
Jordi, where are you fitting the bike? Into the back seat or the trunk?
It fits in the back seat. I removed the front wheel, covered the seat with a thick pad or towel (also the chainring) and slid her in. It's not a perfectly roomy fit but the rear wheel does clear the door when shut. I've only done it twice because the velodrome is way too far of a ride at night, but I don't think I will do it again. I'm paranoid of the interior getting gouged. I suppose I could get it in the trunk but I would have to remove both wheels and the bars/stem...maybe even the seat as well. But whats the point? I should be RIDING my bike and not driving it around. :)

500AMM

E500E explorer

jano said:
I cannot fit my bicycle into my e500, even when removing the front and back wheels. A number of bike racks exist, but they all leave the bike too close to the paint which I don't want to mar. The best bike racks seem to be those that attach to a hitch. Fleabay appear to have a hitch for w124s, at about $300.. seems a bit steep. My gf's dad welded a hitch to her car, but I won't let him near mine - I want something removable.

Is there an oem hitch available for the w124's? I've seen the occasional jab here in the forum, and believe me, I'm embarrassed, but it is for a good cause :) My e500 is a DD.

Ideas?
Hi jano.

ORIS is the original trailer hook for the W124 cars, and most used were the type with a detachable hook. The enclosed pics shows the accessories required to mount this in a safe way. It is quite a comprehensive job.

I looked into mounting one on my Limited, but to my great surprise I couldn't find the original mount holes in the rear frame members. Later on I got the information that the 124.036 is not intended for trailer hook installation. I guess you can do the necessary mods on the frame members, but the main cross bar will interfere with the exhaust pipe/rear silencer. You also need to make a recess in the bumper. I dropped the idea, also because the entire assy weighs about 20-30kg!!

Maybe this could be a better idea: http://www.seasucker.tv/
It is used with great success. It's even an American product. :)

Cheers
-arnt-

Attachments

ducaromeo

E500E Newbie

Curt 1.25" receiver hitch P/N 11816 (3500lb towing capacity, 350lb tongue weight) is widely available on Ebay and other sources for W124 chassis. It is a very well made hitch. I was mildly worried the 124.036 might have different frame rails on the rear but took a chance on the $199.00 hitch and it fit just fine. Slight trimming of the rear bumper will be required, and you'll need a right angle drill to drill the mounting hole in the driver's side frame rail. I am planning on mounting a Thule T2 2-bike rack. FYI - I am fortunate enough to have an extra bumper, otherwise I would have been a bit bummed about chopping it.

Attachments