• Hi Guest !

Welcome to the new 500Eboard forum, post-migration to XenForo. Please feel free to do the following:

1) Explore, click, tweak your settings, enjoy

2) Check out the new "skins" link at the bottom left of the main page, to change the look and feel (color scheme/graphics) of the forum to your preference

3) Let me know of any errors you find. I am hard at work in the coming days and weeks to get things tweaked correctly, and I know there are plenty of small tweaks. Feel free to post in the "XenForo Migration" thread anything you find, or have questions about.

RM 2019 - E60 AMG, 500TE AMG, 500SEC 6.0 Widebody, etc...

msq

1994 E60. Interesting, no AMG airbox and looks like a aftermarket exhaust and rotors

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/pa19/paris/lots/r0043-1994-mercedes-benz-e60-amg/733333

....also, curiously, the speedo on this car is not AMG one, which make me wonder did this car have full AMG conversion (suspension, transmission etc.) or just engine?

there is a separate post on this car on this forum: https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13605 that was just put up today also

Last edited:

2phast

....also, curiously, the speedo on this car is not AMG one, which make me wonder did this car have full AMG conversion (suspension, transmission etc.) or just engine?

there is a separate post on this car on this forum: https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13605 that was just put up today also

If there are no AMG codes in the VIN, then this vehicle was converted after delivery. In a situation like that, anything goes as those types of orders were ala-carte. So that could very well explain the lack of AMG airbox and speedo. Purchasing a car like this would be risky without some solid proof of what exactly it is. The AMG stamp on the block would be first thing I would look for.

msq

If there are no AMG codes in the VIN, then this vehicle was converted after delivery. In a situation like that, anything goes as those types of orders were ala-carte. So that could very well explain the lack of AMG airbox and speedo. Purchasing a car like this would be risky without some solid proof of what exactly it is. The AMG stamp on the block would be first thing I would look for.
Yes, agreed, it looks like it was most certainly converted after delivery. In my search I did not see any E60 AMG's that were converted "as new" (regardless of 957 code) by MB/AMG that did not have AMG speedo.

Last edited:

Rouven036

.036 Info God (aka "Big R")
Keep in mind the AMG speedo in the 500E 6.0/E60 was a option only. The speedo was never in the price list and is always either installed on a AMG converted vehicle or retrofitted by a dealer.

2phast

Keep in mind the AMG speedo in the 500E 6.0/E60 was a option only. The speedo was never in the price list and is always either installed on a AMG converted vehicle or retrofitted by a dealer.
That possibly could be the case in some countries but newly ordered/delivered German E60's in 94/95 arrived with the AMG speedo, it was not a dealer installed option nor listed as an optional item on the order sheet (something that you could omit). It is possible this was different for the Middle East or some other countries. The German E60 brochure I have seen (there are a few different ones out there) did show the cluster with the AMG speedo as well. The 91/92/93 500e 6.0l cars were a done via a ala-carte system and could be ordered with everything or next to nothing, many of those have had E60 badges applied at a later date and passed off as E60's (seen many of those without the AMG cluster as well). Some early 91 conversions even sport the AMG logo and not the ///AMG logo on the speedo, which would be correct for the 1991 model year.

As for the 94/95 E60's, the only cars I have seen without the speedo are post delivery 94/95 E500's that were sent out for conversion. I have though seen several E60's with US clusters in them and those did not have the AMG speedo (code 957 cars), I have to assume though that due to import requirements, the KM speedo was replaced with a MPH speedo that lacked the AMG logo

Rouven036

.036 Info God (aka "Big R")
The German deliveries (E60 available as per dealer price list) had no 300km/h speedo ex factory. Was available as special option direct to be sourced from AMG but not in the regular dealer and options price list. AMG conversions are all a la carte as you stated correctly...

2phast

The German deliveries (E60 available as per dealer price list) had no 300km/h speedo ex factory. Was available as special option direct to be sourced from AMG but not in the regular dealer and options price list. AMG conversions are all a la carte as you stated correctly...
I don't recall this discussion ever referencing top speed on the dial, we were discussing the presence of the ///AMG logo on the dial, which was present on all of the factory E60 cars. Now if the 300kph speedo was an option and not standard, please share a picture of the alternate speedo. My reference collection has nothing but 300 kph AMG speedo's and 260 kph speedos for standard E500's.

msq

I don't recall this discussion ever referencing top speed on the dial, we were discussing the presence of the ///AMG logo on the dial, which was present on all of the factory E60 cars. Now if the 300kph speedo was an option and not standard, please share a picture of the alternate speedo. My reference collection has nothing but 300 kph AMG speedo's and 260 kph speedos for standard E500's.
I think Rouven is using the AMG speedo and 300 km/h speedo term interchangeably (i.e. they are the same thing), and I also thought that was the case. I think the question is "on an E60 did you have to order the AMG/300 kp/h speedo and was it an option, or did it come as part of every E60 AMG". For what it is worth, in addition to the E60 for sale in this collection, here is a pic or another Japanese E60 that is post '93 that does not have an AMG/300 kp/h speedo:
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1659336-1995-amg-e60.html

All of the European E60 AMG's I had seen that were '94 model year (could have been built in 2nd half '93) did have an AMG speedo, but it looks like that is not true of the Japanese ones. Based on this, and what I think you guys are saying (I could be misinterpreting) and based on what I have observed - I think the following is true:

1. Japanese E60's may or may not have AMG/300 km/h speedo - regardless of the year
2. All 957 codes that were '94 Model Year and built for Europe had the AMG 300 km/h logo as part of AMG build/conversion
3. It was not a factory option from MB (except when it came as part of 957 code and was European) but done as part of AMG conversion
4. Pre 957 code you could order many configurations from AMG (Europe or not) and therefore an E60 pre 957 may or may not have the AMG 300 km/h speedo

I am trying to glue together my interpretation of both of your observations/knowledge, combined with what I have seen. I could easily be wrong :-0

500AMM

E500E explorer
Interesting discussion about the E60 AMG equipment. The Norwegian E60 AMG (957 car) doesn't have a 300kmh speedo, not an AMG speedo at all, which you can see in this video; https://www.google.no/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DBgXF5bdr4o&ved=2ahUKEwj334y01o3fAhVVkMMKHYJeBMAQwqsBMAB6BAgLEAU&usg=AOvVaw2BScLJ5zCxx8gNS22rp7Vp

My '92 6.0 was converted at AMG in 1994, and besides the engine & transmission the front brakes are the only additional upgrade. I guess that supports the à la carte philosophy.

FWIW, my previous 500TE had a 260kmh AMG speedo. (no pics available ATM)

msq

Interesting discussion about the E60 AMG equipment. The Norwegian E60 AMG (957 car) doesn't have a 300kmh speedo, not an AMG speedo at all, which you can see in this video; https://www.google.no/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DBgXF5bdr4o&ved=2ahUKEwj334y01o3fAhVVkMMKHYJeBMAQwqsBMAB6BAgLEAU&usg=AOvVaw2BScLJ5zCxx8gNS22rp7Vp
Ok thanks for info, then at least two of my assumptions are wrong i.e. AMG speedo & 300 km/h are one in the same is not true and that all Euro 957's had AMG speedo's is not true.

p.s. It's great how in certain European countries every gets out of your way if you come up behind them in the passing lane....can you guys come over here and teach that to people ;-)