• Hi Guest !

Welcome to the new 500Eboard forum, post-migration to XenForo. Please feel free to do the following:

1) Explore, click, tweak your settings, enjoy

2) Check out the new "skins" link at the bottom left of the main page, to change the look and feel (color scheme/graphics) of the forum to your preference

3) Let me know of any errors you find. I am hard at work in the coming days and weeks to get things tweaked correctly, and I know there are plenty of small tweaks. Feel free to post in the "XenForo Migration" thread anything you find, or have questions about.

SL500 progress and thank you all!

Duh_Vinci

Cheers Dan!

Thanks for the link to Noico, seem to be a good product, very affordable price point, I still have a large roll of FatMat from prior installs, but when I do run out, definitely will give Noico a try.

Plastics... ohh those plastics!!! You are not kidding! Now, those particular corner covers, yes - however, there is a gentleman in Germany makes these from brass, $100 per pair, (cheaper than factory) and will never break... Some day, for now, I do have a spare set from a parts car. From what I've learned about these corner covers, if one was to use just a small, thin stainless washer between the mounting point of the car and the that corner cover, that excessive pressure is relieved enough to prevent the stress fractures for much much longer!

Headliner - this is 5th R129 headliner for my DIY (2 of my prior R129, 1 my brothers car and a friend's R129), these are easy indeed, going to use the same foam backed "synth-suede" from Headliner Magic... I wish they had this stuff locally, but no...

Regards,
D

LWB250

"But - but - he'll see the big board!!!"
Cheers Dan!

Thanks for the link to Noico, seem to be a good product, very affordable price point, I still have a large roll of FatMat from prior installs, but when I do run out, definitely will give Noico a try.
I used it recently on the W111 and was quite pleased with it, as I had some DynaMat left over and worked with both side by side so I could compare the two. A lot more affordable than DynaMat, and reading reviews on it I found that most users considered it comparable.

Headliner - this is 5th R129 headliner for my DIY (2 of my prior R129, 1 my brothers car and a friend's R129), these are easy indeed, going to use the same foam backed "synth-suede" from Headliner Magic... I wish they had this stuff locally, but no...

Regards,
D
I found the gray headliner material at my local JoAnn Fabrics store, along with the spray adhesive. Wicked stuff.

Dan

Duh_Vinci

I used it recently on the W111 and was quite pleased with it, as I had some DynaMat left over and worked with both side by side so I could compare the two. A lot more affordable than DynaMat, and reading reviews on it I found that most users considered it comparable...
As long as it does not smell like asphalt in a hot car lol In the late 90's everyone jumped on the bandwagon making some kind of deadening mats, some smelled awful!!! Definitely will keep that one in mind, bookmarked amazon''s page

I found the gray headliner material at my local JoAnn Fabrics store, along with the spray adhesive. Wicked stuff.
Good stuff, affordable, used it on our pick-up truck, and our store carries black, light grey and dark grey choices. I do, however prefer the look and feel of that "alcantara" style, used in in my brothers's car

32820592226_07335d7786_b.jpgWP_20170212_11_43_08_Pro by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

And in my SL320

32755139580_7633c26162_b.jpgWP_20170226_18_24_21_Pro by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

It feels great to touch, so I will use the black one again... Now I need to find x2 W202 with black interior on the junk yards to harvest Black front passenger "oh shit" handles to use instead of grey stock R129 units :yahoo:

Regards,
D

Duh_Vinci

Its official, "Red Devil" is getting painted!!! Stopped by the paint shop, got the final estimate for a full re-spray... Removing all the badges, panels, trim, door handles, claddings, bumpers, lights and such is on me, they do the rest. :yahoo:

So next week, mounting Carlsson rear box, since rear valance will need a cut-out for those dual tips, all that needs to be done first, then I will have to make a cut in a virgin rear Expression Motorsport skirt apron to match... Pre-fit the front apron/skirt of the same package and and start taking it all apart!

I will have to order tons of new clips plastic fittings/pistons for the lower cladding, going to delete the headlight wipers (must fill-in the holes in the trim).
Can't wait for it to start looking like a proper R129 instead of "rad-rod" ish as it is now :jono:

Regards,
D

Duh_Vinci

Done...

Tried out for the first time Min-Jet 828 by Warwick, got a great deal on it, NOS, perfect for those tight areas of the wheel. Sata for main coverage and the clear

40696405463_55dd9ae757_c.jpg20190421_192223 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

33785581688_e37c15b8eb_c.jpg20190421_193302 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

32720247447_06de7555ee_c.jpg20190421_193112 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

Will do wet sand, buffing and polishing tomorrow.

Regards,
D

ace10

Peanut Gallerist, Flipper Detective
Related to your refinishing project (nicely done btw), who do you trust to handle the mounting of tires on painted finish wheels?