• Hi Guest !

Welcome to the new 500Eboard forum, post-migration to XenForo. Please feel free to do the following:

1) Explore, click, tweak your settings, enjoy

2) Check out the new "skins" link at the bottom left of the main page, to change the look and feel (color scheme/graphics) of the forum to your preference

3) Let me know of any errors you find. I am hard at work in the coming days and weeks to get things tweaked correctly, and I know there are plenty of small tweaks. Feel free to post in the "XenForo Migration" thread anything you find, or have questions about.

W124 ACC Vacuum Pod Availibility Update

sheward

Rubber will store for many years without contact with the elements/outdoors. The originals lasted 25 years. I wish I had some of these in my inventory.

Drew

doolar

E500E Newbie
Bought the available pods for my 92 500E, so am now ready for the POD apocalypse...

So what do we think is the best way to store these until they are needed 1-5-10 years down the road? I don't have any liquid nitrogen on hand
Heat and UV light is the main enemy for rubber. Store in a cool and dark place.

Trae

I have all the pods except the ONE NLA.
Don't think I will be doing this job in the near future, but I applaud those of you who have done the replacements.
All pods currently stored in a cool, dark, and dry place.

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Current availability update for W124 vacuum pods, May 2018:

A lot of changes, as three and soon four of the six pods are officially NLA from MB for the early cars; two of the six pods are officially NLA for later cars.

Things are getting more dire by the month.....

1992 & 1993 500E models (Pre-facelift):

1. 124 800 26 75 - Defroster flap pod (NLA from MB; available aftermarket)
  2. 124 800 09 75 - Lower footwell pod (NLA from MB; NLA on aftermarket)
  3. 124 800 03 75 - Diverter flap pod (available from MB only)
  4. 124 800 02 75 - Center vent flap pod, inside airbox (NLA from MB; NLA on aftermarket, aftermarket diaphragm available, see post #1)
  5. 124 800 04 75 - Recirc/fresh air pod, left side (available from MB, NLA on aftermarket)
  6. 124 800 11 75 - Recirc/fresh air pod, right side (NLA from MB, limited MB part availability on aftermarket)

1994 E500 models (Facelifted*):

1. 124 800 26 75 - Defroster flap pod (NLA from MB; available aftermarket)
  2. 124 800 09 75 - Lower footwell pod (NLA from MB; NLA on aftermarket)
  3. 124 800 03 75 - Diverter flap pod (available from MB only)
  4. 124 800 02 75 - Center vent flap pod, inside airbox (NLA from MB or aftermarket, aftermarket diaphragm available, see post #1)
  5. 124 800 29 75 - Recirc/fresh air pod, left side (available from MB and/or aftermarket)
  6. 124 800 30 75 - Recirc/fresh air pod, right side (available from MB and/or aftermarket)

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
AS OF JULY 18, 2018:

Availability for the pods for both pre-facelift and facelift cars has not seemed to change -- the immediately preceding post still holds based on MB parts availability data.

Overall, pods for facelift cars seem to have slightly better MB and aftermarket availability than for pre-facelift cars.

Minor changes are below:

1. 124 800 03 75 - Diverter flap pod (available from MB only, MB PART ALSO AVAILABLE THRU AFTERMARKET)
  2. 124 800 11 75 - Recirc/fresh air pod, right side (NLA from MB, DOES NOT SEEM AVAILABLE on aftermarket)

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Hi Gerry, can the 126 pods be used on the 124 chassis?
No, they are different sizes/part numbers and are not interchangeable between the platforms, although the functions of the pods and general layout/concept of the system is similar.

One important difference is that on the W124, the center vent control pod (interestingly, one of the ones that goes out most often) is located INSIDE the heater box. The top door of the heater box must be removed and the pod down inside the box can be carefully removed and replaced. It's easier to be done by someone with a smaller hand.

The W126 does not have this pod INSIDE the heater box. Rather, it is located outside, though it is still a PITA in terms of overall accessibility, it is doable with patience.

Also, for the W124, the dashboard MUST be completely removed to access several of the pods. For a first-time DIYer, dashboard removal on a W124 is probably 1.5-3 hours as part of the overall job. The footwell pod and the defroster pod on the W124 do not require removal of the dash, but that is only one-third of the job. The center vent pod, the diverter pod, and the recirculation pods (the other four) DO require removal of the dashboard.

For the W126, the dashboard is NOT required to be removed to replace all six of the pods, although it is a fair bit easier to replace a couple of them if the dashboard is removed (which introduces more time/labor to do).

BTW I was able to get a 124 800 09 75 footwell pod from Naperville last week. I think AutohausAZ where I first tried cancelled it after having one in my cart, but for whatever reason it worked from Naperville. Think they've become available from MB again?

Attachments

Last edited:

gsxr

.036 Hoonigan™, E500E Boffin
Staff member
Note the label date is 2013, so it isn't recent inventory. My guess is, a few trickled into the system from somewhere, but there may only be a small number left, if any? Would have to check Paragon and see what's up.

:pc1:

jhodg5ck

"Nit-Picky and, Bitter Mechanic"
I'll take 2013 over 1992 :)
I have a really cheap and easy fix for the center vent...makes it manual control from the outer wheel Only but only takes about 10 min start to finish. Will try to take pics next one i do.

Jono

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
LATEST UPDATE - March, 2019

Five of the six pods are now NLA from MB for pre-facelift cars (two pods available in total).
Four of the six pods are now NLA from MB for facelift cars (three pods available in total).

1992 & 1993 500E models (Pre-facelift):

1. 124 800 26 75 - Defroster flap pod (still NLA from MB; available aftermarket)
  2. 124 800 09 75 - Lower footwell pod (still NLA from MB; NLA on aftermarket)
  3. 124 800 03 75 - Diverter flap pod (available as MB part from both MB and aftermarket sources)
  4. 124 800 02 75 - Center vent flap pod, inside airbox (still NLA from MB; NLA on aftermarket, aftermarket diaphragm available, see post #1)
  5. 124 800 04 75 - Recirc/fresh air pod, left side (NOW NLA from MB, NLA on aftermarket)
  6. 124 800 11 75 - Recirc/fresh air pod, right side (still NLA from MB, NLA on aftermarket)

1994 E500 models (Facelifted*):

1. 124 800 26 75 - Defroster flap pod (still NLA from MB; available aftermarket)
  2. 124 800 09 75 - Lower footwell pod (still NLA from MB; NLA on aftermarket)
  3. 124 800 03 75 - Diverter flap pod (available as MB part from both MB and aftermarket sources)
  4. 124 800 02 75 - Center vent flap pod, inside airbox (still NLA from MB or aftermarket, aftermarket diaphragm available, see post #1)
  5. 124 800 29 75 - Recirc/fresh air pod, left side (Appears NLA from MB; NLA on aftermarket)
  6. 124 800 30 75 - Recirc/fresh air pod, right side (available from MB and/or aftermarket)

gerryvz

Site Honcho
Staff member
Let me put this another way.

As of right now (March, 2019), here are the pods that ARE AVAILABLE:

PRE-FACELIFT CARS
124 800 26 75 - Defroster flap pod -- available on aftermarket (Importec) (FCP Euro) (AutohausAZ)
124 800 03 75 - Diverter flap pod -- available from MB or as MB part on aftermarket(Importec) (FCP Euro) (AutohausAZ)
124 800 02 75
- Center vent flap pod, inside airbox --
diaphragm can be purchased to repair old pod (link for ordering diaphragm)

FACELIFT CARS

124 800 26 75 - Defroster flap pod -- available on aftermarket (Importec) (FCP Euro) (AutohausAZ)
124 800 03 75 - Diverter flap pod -- available from MB or as MB part on aftermarket(Importec) (FCP Euro) (AutohausAZ)
124 800 02 75 - Center vent flap pod, inside airbox -- diaphragm can be purchased to repair old pod (link for ordering diaphragm)
124 800 30 75 - Recirc/fresh air pod, right side -- available from MB or on aftermarket (Importec) (AutohausAZ)

I highly recommend that folks get the pods they can get, in you are a long-term owner.

I have added typical links to each pod, above, where the pod is orderable.

Cheers,
Gerry

samiam44

Anyone in hotlanta ever talk with Behr? I remember that bhr was the supplier and the aftermarket ones drop shipped from Atlanta. If someone had acess to the assembly drawings, they could surely tell you what you needed. Maybe get Behr to make a service kit with different diaphrams?