• Hi Guest !

Welcome to the new 500Eboard forum, post-migration to XenForo. Please feel free to do the following:

1) Explore, click, tweak your settings, enjoy

2) Check out the new "skins" link at the bottom left of the main page, to change the look and feel (color scheme/graphics) of the forum to your preference

3) Let me know of any errors you find. I am hard at work in the coming days and weeks to get things tweaked correctly, and I know there are plenty of small tweaks. Feel free to post in the "XenForo Migration" thread anything you find, or have questions about.

Warniing Label on Expansion Tank

HowardK

E500E Newbie
I had read that there is a warning label that goes on the expansion tank. I did not have one on my car. I went to the dealer and sure enough, they had a label. So I purchased it. Now, I need to know exactly how it is configured when it is put on the tank. Anyone know?

Thanks

a777fan

Well that is awesome that they had it. Can you post a pic of what they sold you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sheward

I'll look and see if I have my original tank around that had the sticker still in place.

drew

gsxr

.036 Hoonigan™, E500E Boffin
Staff member
IIRC... the original white label with red lettering is NLA, but superceded to a newer version that is black with white lettering? However, I haven't looked at these for 10+ years so my memory might be off.

Photo attached of a recent car for sale with 19kmi, showing the original decal placement.

:rugby:

Attachments

gsxr

Staff member
Update: EPC indicates the original may have been 124-584-05-40 (white/red), replaced by 210-584-07-21 (black/white). Photos attached from Google.

:matrix:

Attachments

HowardK

E500E Newbie
gsxr,

Thanks for posting. I guess the first label is NLA. The second one is the one I purchased. Should I put it on?

Last edited:

gsxr

Staff member
gsxr,

Thanks for posting. I guess the first label is NLA. The second one is the one I purchased. Should I put it on?
It depends. If you want the warning present for safety reasons, sure, put it on... it is functionally equivalent (i.e., has the same message) which is probably why MB superceded it.

However, if you are trying to make the car "period correct" for shows or concours events, I'd leave it off. Sad part is, the plastic expansion tanks often need replacement after 20+ years and even if the original decal was in decent shape, it would be nearly impossible to transfer from an old tank to new.

:seesaw:

HowardK

E500E Newbie
gsxr, Are you going to the Legends of the Autobahn next month? It would be nice to meet you for sure. You have a lot of 500e knowledge. As well as Gerry VZ and Captruff.

gsxr

Staff member
gsxr, Are you going to the Legends of the Autobahn next month? It would be nice to meet you for sure. You have a lot of 500e knowledge. As well as Gerry VZ and Captruff.
No, sorry, I am not able to attend. One of these years I would definitely like to make it! Gotta add that to the bucket list along with the Blue Ridge grand tour.

:apl:

Update: EPC indicates the original may have been 124-584-05-40 (white/red), replaced by 210-584-07-21 (black/white). Photos attached from Google.

So the only different is the color?
HowardK, can you scan it at 100% and send that to me? I'm in the process of replicating a few NLA labels for the 036. Hit me offline.

Edit: Nevermind, logged in and saw the pics. Are the dimensions the same?

Last edited:

JC220

On a parts hunt today :sniper: I went looking for these stickers, got 2x from w124 models. These will clean up just fine. I got them off very, very slowy with gentle peeling. I intend to carefully clean the face of them then attach and cover over with clear sticky protective film slightly larger in size to keep them stuck on.

stickers.jpg

Note that the one on the right has a 210 PN... :detective:

Last edited:

HowardK

E500E Newbie
JC220, Why didn't you just pull the whole expansion tank? Then you wouldn't have to worry about sticking it on to the existing tank Unless the tank was bad. It appears that the new sticker is the same size as the original.

gsxr

Staff member
The expansion tanks have a limited lifespan, the plastic gets brittle from years of high temps. It's a common item to replace as preventive maintenance after ~20 years or so, along with a coolant flush (and a new level sensor that plugs into the tank, and a new cap). I think the stickers are often missing long before this time though.

:strawberry:

JC220

JC220, Why didn't you just pull the whole expansion tank? Then you wouldn't have to worry about sticking it on to the existing tank Unless the tank was bad. It appears that the new sticker is the same size as the original.
Because they were old and yellow tanks. No tanks :D

Not worth taking home I just wanted the stickers in particular since they are NLA now

Klink

postwhore posterchild
Staff member
And believe it or not, the “thicker“ you run the coolant mixture, the faster they age. Boneheads that put pure anti-freeze in them find them destroyed in short order. Same for the coolant level sensors, etc. They should never be subjected to a greater than 50/50 glycol to water mix.

darek_u

FYI this label is still available in red/white. I just got if from Germany based parts retailer.

gsxr

Staff member
FYI this label is still available in red/white. I just got if from Germany based parts retailer.
Photos of what you received? Was it from an MB dealer? Any chance it's a reproduction?

:apl: